Notify
Tools

Australian Fallow Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted
Hi one and all,

I have just received my Fallow deer mount of an animal I shot last year and thought I would post a picture.

He has come up great.

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Nice mount!
And lovely fallow! Thanks for sharing.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous! Give us the story.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
Gorgeous! Give us the story.

+1

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Fantastic points on the one side.

The taxidermist also remembered the Adam's Apple. I guess it's common knowledge that Fallow have the "apple" but there was a time, before taxidermy forms were so good, that very few Fallow Deer mounts had that feature.

Good job.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
For those asking,

This was one of those quick, unexpected hunts. I had been out scouting early in the year looking for Fallow sign and looking for areas to hunt during the rutt (March-April over here) I spotted this bloke in the bush bordering some open country. Now I must say I have a bit of trouble seeing even with my glasses on and I can't shoot very well with them on either. I could see that the deer had antlers but couldn't make out the size all that well. I didn't expect much as it was about 9.30am and I thought any self respecting deer would be long bedded up. I took the specs off and had a look through the binoculars. That did get me moving. He had quiet respectable antlers. The animal was about 150 metres away I suppose and I moved to get a better rest. As I did so he moved in behind some trees and I lost sight of him. I repositioned slowly and when I crawled around I found that there were two stags standing together. The first one I had spotted and the one I actually shot. They obviously knew I was there and became very alert. They both then took off. I didn't have much time to look but I could tell that one was a bit bigger than the other so I took aim on him. I could see this huge palm on the antler. I fired and he fell. I was using my old Interarms Mark X 270 Wby. Mag. loaded with 140 gn Barnes TSX. As always the Barnes performed extremely well. He was in beautiful condition with a great cape. No damage to the antlers either.

During the rutt I returned to the same location and I got the other one. Nice animal as well.

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who did the taxidermy John?

A lovely head BTW.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
GG375,

Ted Wohlers was the taxidermist. He does a great job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheers John - he did a really nice job. You presented it nicely too, with the black background.

Have a good one.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Very nice,thanks for sharing

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
nice fallow!

Posts: 46 | Location: �rskog, Norway | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TMTAXIDERMY
posted Hide Post

Posts: 138 | Location: Dardanelle, Arkansas | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote