New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zebra ideas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to do a shoulder mount of my zebra and a rug out of the remainder of the hide. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts as to this idea? If you have any pictures please post them. Thanks

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks do this. The best solution would be to shoot two zebra. The backsin rug is half of a zebra but it is less than half as impressive as a full rug.

Another option would be a zebra pedestal mount, using the backskin to cover the back of the mount and for skin panels on the pedestal base.

Another option is to use the backin for a nice pillow.

The backskin is worth saving but I think it is best used to make other things.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
put your question down in taxidermy and i'm sure you will get lots of answers

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good idea- I will post the question in the taxidermy forum as well.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Here is the front half of my mountian zebra:

And here is a partial view of my back half:

As mentioned above, a back skin is not nearly as impresive as a full rug and I'm having a rug made of the zebra I shot in November. I will likely use the back skin above for pillows or seat cushions or panels for a future pedestal mount.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love those pedastal mounts!!!

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.showsci.com/ConvPho...ew_photo&photo_ID=31

Attached is the photo of my zebra pedestal mount from the 2007 SCI Convention. The mount was at the Animal Artistry booth. I had them use the back half of the hide for a strip on the pedestal.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9383 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a regular shoulder mount of the Zebra, then the backskin hangs on the wall below it, tail down.

Posts: 20095 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote