Find
Notify
Tools

Africa room suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
Hey folks, I have a very modest sized room under construction (24x20 with 10' ceilings). We are going to make it an African theme, but not a straight up trophy room. I would love some good suggestions about how to make it unique. I have lots of lights going in, a stone fireplace with flat hearth, a small 3 stool bar in one back corner. I plan to have a 55" TV over fireplace and pedestal leopard on one side and ped buff on the other to be replaced by sable. I will have a leopard rug in open area behind sofa and maybe a blue wildebeest flat skin in front of couch. 24' wall will have a centered antique map of Africa and maybe a kudu on one side and some other mount on the other.

I do have 3/4" plywood on all walls and limited windows with heavy UV protection. Windows flanking fireplace are 5 tall x 2 with a 1x2 transom. I want some shelving for skulls and misc things, maybe all around door into house.

Now give me some ideas. I will be in RSA- Moz and Zim this year, so have the ability to pick up a few things. Hoping to also get a set of nice ele tusks to put on either side of fireplace. I would love to have an ele ear painting as well if I get one.

So I am all ears, again not stuffing it full of mounts, but want to make it unique.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Your room sounds similar to mine in many ways. Mine is a bit longer but not as wide. Got a bar in the back corner with sink, mini-fridge, and ice maker. Opposite side of the room has my gun safe. Far end has stone fireplace with mantle carved into several elephant marching in line. Rhino above that, sable coming from the taxidermist will go above and to the right, and a roan will go to the opposite side one of these days. My big screen is in the middle of the large wall with ele tusks framing the screen. Pictures of my room have been posted previously.

But to the topic of ideas for things to pick up while in Africa this year, my wife went along on my first trip. The lodge we stayed in had some lights that she just had to have. So we convinced them to sell us one and ship it along with the trophies. Here is a picture of the light. It hangs in the center of my trophy room, evenly spaced between the two ceiling fans.

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
a small 3 stool bar in one back corner.

Sounds like it will be pretty cool already, the best I can come up with, would be to have me bellied up to the above...that would make this room very unique!.....Hey remember "I excel at more than the obvious"

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
As I look around my rooms, the things that make it feel like a trophy room (rather than a museum), are:
Leadwood bowls,
monkey balls,
tapestries,
maps,
throw pillows (with animal hide accents or the unique woven pillows you can get at OR Tambo),
Lots of books,
baskets,
carvings,
sculptures,
figureines,
lots of photos,
quills,
decoys,
giant snail shells,
brass and recovered bullets,
various African and wildlife art.

And, of course, Lil Ernest.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim, I will send you an email. On an African room, there are some major must dos, and some major no-nos.
A North American room is much easier, with dark woods, Antlers, lots of cool birds etc. African stuff needs a world of itself. I will get back to you shortly and and some pics

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Hey Tim
Definitely couple of euro mounts 45 degrees
Buffalo looks good that way and so does warthog
Next time you pop in Bitterroot come over to see
Boar killer ( Milan )

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Hey Tim
Definitely couple of euro mounts 45 degrees
Buffalo looks good that way and so does warthog
Next time you pop in Bitterroot come over to see
Boar killer ( Milan )

euro mounts 45 degrees

I'm sorry, must be thinking slow today...what does this mean exactly?! Inquiring minds want to know!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I think Milan means have them at a 45 degree angle so they aren't flat to the wall and you only see top of boss. I agree they look much better on an angle.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim not sure what you are doing for the flooring in your trophy room. I used teak wood in mine and that really finished the room...

Posts: 1795 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote