Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy Rooms in Southern Florida
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
We are seriously considrring buying a home in the Keys or on Pine Island, FL. What do I need to know about humidity, bugs or anything else as it relates to a trophy room in the tropics as compared to the west?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the home will be air conditioned so the ambient humidity is irrelevant but probably higher than you are used to( although when you walk out the door, you will certainly know it)!!! as far as the rest, bugs are bugs everywhere.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13172 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
The air conditioning makes sense, but I thought I heard of bug problems in the east and south. I've had nary a problem in the west.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a trophy room here in SW FL and deal with the issues and have a second area on a barrier island like the keys by Boca Grande. Bugs are not an issue, but the humidity definitely is. Mostly for your woods on either flooring or other items as many Man Cave's have a lot of wood. I keep dehumidifying agents in the room. They absorb tremendous moisture from the air. Otherwise, you could have warping from the overt moisture from the coast.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Poyntman and welcome to the forum!

One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Depending on how the home is set up, i would look at an ERV (Energy Recovery Ventilator).
It basically has a big desiccant wheel that absorbs the humidity. Made for more of the southern climate.

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RHK
posted Hide Post
Definitely watch the humidity IMO. We did just the opposite regional relocation and moved to MT from TN about 5 years ago. Just this past year, I've noticed how a couple of my older mounts have really dried out around the eyes and I am seeing some cracks developing. So I am convinced that the differences in moisture and humidity over time have an effect on taxidermy mounts. Good luck.

"Everybody told me you can't far on $37.00 and and a jap guitar" ~ S.E.

"Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana." ~ M.H.

Wild Bob

Posts: 73 | Location: North East Montana | Registered: 14 October 2008Reply With Quote