Find
Notify
Tools

LOW ceilings--Any advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
My trophies just arrived from SA, now Im suddenly realizing the room Ive set aside for them has low ceilings.... I have a Wildebeest, Zebra, Impala, and Nyala full shoulder mounts plus a couple European skull mounts. The mounts will "fit"; but I wish I had another foot or so above them.

Now Im wondering what do I do when I go back for the Buff and the Kudo?

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider some pedestal mounts.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,is right..ped mts both look and work well and you can dress them up real well also...

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Pedestals will work but a Kudu an a pedestal will still be about 8 feet.

Of course the buff an a pedestal won't be that high.
Alternatively, you could shoot small ones. Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any reasonable way to raise the roof? I had the same issue in 2009. My solution, in a single story house, was to raise the ceiling four feet to follow the peaked roofline about ten feet towards the end of the house. The area raised is about ten feet long, and fourteen feet wide. A friend, is a retired contractor, did it with me as assistant and general go-fer.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Euro mounts for low ceiling or build high ceiling trophy room there is your options

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
New house?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1086 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Edelweiss, get your Wildebbest a wall pedestal semi-sneak they look great and can be hung quite high on a 8" ceiling scenario. The Nyala we change out a LARGE whitetail body shoulder wall pedestal and alter it to a nyala, by extending the neck and adding some mass to it and do the semi sneak for them It's a good pose for a low ceiling also. The zebra will fit no problem as well as the Impala on a low ceiling, Kudu semi sneak or sneak works very well. Zebra Wall pedestal...

Or Double Pedestal some of them ....

Producing the Highest Quality Custom Wildlife
Visit our Studio Online at:
The Artistry of Wildlife
"2009 World Champions"
"Best in World Combined Artists"
World Taxidermy Championships
" 2010 Michigan State Champion"

Email:
cremudgeon34@yahoo.com

Visit our studio on Facebook Updates and large galleries to view

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lower the floor (sorry the devil made do it)

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Any reasonable way to raise the roof? I had the same issue in 2009. My solution, in a single story house, was to raise the ceiling four feet to follow the peaked roofline about ten feet towards the end of the house. The area raised is about ten feet long, and fourteen feet wide. A friend, is a retired contractor, did it with me as assistant and general go-fer.

Rich

My hunting partner did the same. It snowballed into a full remodel and took forever.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's just my two cents(and I know they mean little)spend the money on hunts instead of the mounts and what they look like in your trophy room. I am greatly awaiting my stuff back from zim, but I won't pay one cent to make my room bigger if I can save that money to go back sooner. A trophy(be it big or small if it's yours)is much more worth the experience and time you put into it. I have elk, deer, and bear scattered all around my house. I will soon have bushbuck, waterbuck, elephant ears, and baboon all over the house. if you have the money do it. If you are like me go hunting.

Posts: 118 | Location: Utah | Registered: 25 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
It never occurred to me to even consider the room height when I ordered the mounts. I had a house fire about 6 months before the hunt (just enough left to rebuild), and never thought about changing the room. Its in the finished basement, so there was no chance of raising the ceiling anyway.

My "problem" is I ordered full shoulder mounts for my Zebra, Wildebeast, and Nyala. My ceiling is about 8 foot high, so I have a choice between mounting them with them almost touching the ceiling or the floor. I cant undo these; but future mounts will be smaller, possibly pedestal and/or European.

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote