Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard & Hyena Mount
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
Following are a few picts of my recently completed leopard and hyena mount, done by Laros Taxidermy in Allentown PA. Both animals, along with the duiker, were shot in the West Caprivi (Namibia between Botswana & Angola) in 2003.

Richard Laros worked with me to come up with a custom mount that would fit in a particular spot in my home. I think he captured the facial expressions of the hyena and leopard very nicely. The 5x5 oak base is wonderful, and he matched the sand color to what is found in the Caprivi. The leopard is making "eye contact" with you when you stand in the room.

The tanning was done by Carolina Fur, and turned out great. I will use them for all tanning work moving forward.

This is with Richard Laros, the taxidermist:

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Bravo, Bill, well done and extremely classy. The quality of the work is expressed in the leopard's face. One of the best I've seen. PM me your taxidermist's info, I would definitely consider him for my leopard if I am lucky enough to take one next year!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I KNOW DICK LAROS HE RUNS THE ALENTOWN SHOW.
HE IS A TOP TAXIDERMIST. GRATE MOUNT.

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the facial expression of the leopard. You should be very proud. thumb

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am very critical when it comes to cats a taxi! I'm here to tell you that cat is awesome the best I've seen! I would love to see some more cats hea has done!

ignorance is just another varmint that needs killin'!

Posts: 37 | Location: N texas | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is what I call high quality taxidermy. That is probably the best looking leopard mount I've ever seen, he's a brute of a leopard too. If your taxidermist was a bit closer and I had a lion that needed mounting, he'd be sent there ASAP. Any chance of seeing a picture of the base?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes I would also like to see more pics of the hyena as well!

ignorance is just another varmint that needs killin'!

Posts: 37 | Location: N texas | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bill,

That is without a doubt the best leopard mount I have ever seen. The true test of taxidermist is always how he mounts cats. SWEET!!!

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Truly a beautiful mount.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Great mount!
How much does such a mount costs?
I mean without the hunt, trophy fee, air fare etc.. Big Grin Big Grin
Hope it`s not a rude question.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill C,
AWESOME mount, you can feel proud on this one forever. I can hardly wait to get mine back (May). Can only hope it will be nearly as good as this one.
Bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
That is a VERY nice mount. Getting the cat's face correct is quite a challenge.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Bill- Very nice indeed! You need to email these photos to Fred, he'd love to see them.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill...are you tuning the 458 Lott up for your hunt in July? I bet your boys are beside themselves with excitement. I'll be back in Zim in about three months. Looking forward to hunting with Buzz again!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Terrific!
Makes me want to try again for leopard.
Thanks for sharing.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful mount. Just made my day. Thanks.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Yes good mount but in my mind the cats eyes are too open,the ears are not flattened enough and the lips should be more pulled back,have a look at a leopard snarling espec at anything that wants its kill or pisses it off,they really have an incredibly menacing "dont f@#$ with me look" and i`m afraid this one hasnt quite got it.I reckon the cat should be looking at the hyaena too not an imaginary one.Ok shoot me down fellas but we all have an opinion dont we haha?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
THAT is an outstanding Leopard!!!!

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, awesome, simply awesome. Almost looks like the leopard may jump out of the tree on to you if you got too close to his dinner. You need to get Dick to mount your Lion with the bushbuck. I may have him do a hyena rug for me if I can get lucky and shoot one in Zambia.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Nice leopard and creative mount. I agree that Carolina Furs knows their business.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The nice part about this mount is the subtle things. He didn't over do the expressions of the leopard or the hyena. If you have to look at a mount in your home every day for the next 20 years, you don't want to look at an animal that is snarling and growling like it is in the final stages of rabies. Animals don't walk about all day snarling. You don't want a mount of an animal hurling through the air to an unknown destination - the eye is inclined to expect the animal to land somewhere sometime. An animal in a restful position looks so much more alive.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I figured a leopard guarding its kill would have a super pissed off expression esp with old spotty trying to get it Big Grin

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt: The nice part about this mount is the subtle things. He didn't over do the expressions of the leopard or the hyena...
That's exactly what my thought was, and why I did not want "extreme" facial expressions, nor blood dripping from the duiker… Not my taste, too tacky. And leopards do not "snarl" all the time, even when around lion and hyena. Like all/most cats, they appear amazingly removed from much of what is going on around them. "Snarling and all pissed off" is just not realistic.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
National Geographic did a great documentary "Predators at War" that aired January 16th. One of the scenes shows a leopard killing a duiker and hauling it up into a tree just as the hyenas show up. He was only able to get it to a low limb, and the hyena finally managed to jump up and pull it down. Through the magic of TIVO, I watched it over in slow motion. The leopard kept a rather detached expression, even when the hyena got the duiker. The leopard didn't like it, but he never opened his mouth wide enough to show his upper fangs. You certainly picked the right taxidermist. thumb

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Bill:
How 'bout more pic's like you promised? That mount is absolutely fantastic! And, I agree with the subtle approach - as opposed to the "Ozzie" approach! Wink

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent mount. Congratulations!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love it! Definitely a job well done.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
What a great mount. I am sure there are many memories every time you look at it. Congrats on the leopard and the mount. Great choice.

Picture of MamunurRahman
posted Hide Post
This is the best leopard mount I have ever seen next to the ones done by the Van Ingen brothers of Banglore India.Your taxidermist is A+.

Mamunur Rahman

Posts: 34 | Location: Mississauga,Onatrio.Canada | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
That is an awesome mount... Very nice lep....

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Your leopard mount is simply fantastic. I bet you can just stare at this one for quite a while and enjoy it's beauty while reliving its history.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wildpork
posted Hide Post
I saw this mount in the sportsmans show in Allentown. Graet work. My kids and I looked at it for a long time and my daughter (shes13) and the man showing it off had a nice conversation on African game. It is a beautiful leopard but........The hyena is just as spectacular. It's huge and the workmanship really does both animals justice. Congrats.

Posts: 106 | Location: the great northeast | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote