New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy/Living/Dining Room
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here's our recently completed addition. None of the mounts are huge and/or extravagant, but to me, the designation of "trophy" comes from the hard work of the hunt and the memories you take with you. These most certainly earned the designation.

The gemsbok mount has a problem, in that his horn hits the wall behind him. I'm not happy with where he sits in the room anyway, so I'm contemplating trying to have him modified to sit on a pedestal of some sort. Does anyone know the feasibility of doing this, or have any suggestions?

The floor is hand scraped solid red oak and the fireplace is Texas limestone. There's actually another fireplace that sits on the porch and backs up to this one (separate flues).

It's been a very relaxing room, with the tones and colors. We're slowly decorating it as we go. The next trip to africa will bring the finishing touches. Hopefully including a cape buffalo to take the place of the wildebeast over the fireplace.

Posts: 488 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did good, nice room.

Posts: 10218 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I always love to see other peoples trophy rooms.

Good luck thumb on replacing that Wildebeest with his larger cousin.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Nice room.

Would an option on the Gemsbok be to add a piece of wood to the back of the mount in the same shape as the animal to pull it out from the wall an inch or so?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2585 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Super looking room. Did you do it yourself or have a contractor add it?

Your furniture arrangment is similar to what we'll be doing in my new addition with couch, loveseat and the table. etc.

RE: gemsbok

Two options:

Make it into a pedestal by adding a short steel bracket/rod to the back, then cover the rear with some type of tanned leather or other material. Of course, you then need a pedestal. Smiler

Or...simply have someone make you a nice wooden back plate with a routed edge to go behind the mount and the wall. It looks like all you need is about 3/4" or so to clear the wall.

You can lay the back of the mount on a piece of heavy paper, then trace the outline so the backing would have about the same relief around all of the mount or just do an oval. Then just screw the backplate to the mount and hang it with that.

I made an oval one out of maple to go behind my 33# lake trout. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I can add a wood plaque to the back to get the horn off the wall if I decide to leave him where he is.

I'll probably go with the plate and tanned leather (I have the gemsbok backskin remnants) and mount him on a pedestal. One of my hunting buddies is going to RSA this summer and will be going by the taxidermist. Maybe I'll have them build me another pedestal like the kudu's.

I'd really like to put him across the room from the kudu (where the impala is) and move the impala elsewhere. Where he is right now, you have to walk into the room and then turn around to see him.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Hard to see the kudu pedestal in the one photo. Is it something that a local cabinet maker can't duplicate?

My guess for the gemsbok screw up is that most taxidermists use stands that have very small backs when they're mounting critters. Thus, whoever mounted it didn't realize the one horn was too far astern. Of course, you can always cut the tip off, too. jumping -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Wonderful looking trophy room...great color.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice thumb

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Great room and nice trophies.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Nice room. The lighting really makes your trophies stand out. Great room indeed!

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
nice lookinging room. interesting mount of a brown and white horse on a rocking pedastal.

all jokes aside, its very tidy and impressive. well done.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice room very tastful, well placed mounts.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Super looking room. Did you do it yourself or have a contractor add it?

We were originally just planning to have the room roughed in and I'd finish it out. In the end, we were really lucky to find a GC through a neighbor. The GC was fantastic and specializes in custom homes that are anywhere from 8,000 to 25,000 sf. He just happened to be between projects so we let him handle every part of this addition.

The GC typically gets 15% for his services. It turned out to be the best money I ever spent. If you've ever tried to manage today's building sub-contractors (framers, drywall, electricians etc.), you're in for a battle you didn't bargain for. Work, ethic, quality and honesty are rare. The GC's are their bread and butter, so they tend to walk a straighter line with them. The average homeowner won't get the same service.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thornell:
The lighting really makes your trophies stand out.

Thanks for the compliments. A recommendation on the lighting:
I don't care for track lighting, I think it looks dated and tacky. We used gimble style fixtures instead. The one thing I would do different is to have added a few more light boxes and just put blank plates over the boxes that aren't being used.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
Hard to see the kudu pedestal in the one photo. Is it something that a local cabinet maker can't duplicate?

I'll probably buy some skins off ebay and make one to match. It's a pretty simple base that just uses the back skins on the panels.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! One of the most tasteful trophy rooms I've seen lately.

Thanks for sharing.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

I like the idea of a tasteful wooden spacer of some type to move the gemsbok away from the wall (and kick your taxidermist in the butt for me would you Wink)

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed... rekindles my wishes to build on a little area to my living room. Bloody basement is going to keep me busy for a few months more though....

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Room looks warm, inviting and casual, just the way I like it. Very classy, and one of the best I've seen here. Not that my opinion means anything to anyone but me...Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308sniper
posted Hide Post
Nice Room!! How many times have you been to Arfica?

PETA: people eating tasty animals

Posts: 46 | Location: VA | Registered: 12 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
quote:
None of the mounts are huge and/or extravagant, but to me, the designation of "trophy" comes from the hard work of the hunt and the memories you take with you. These most certainly earned the designation.

This is a GREAT room. The colors and layout are just right. They are ALL trophies. Way to go.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308sniper:
Nice Room!! How many times have you been to Arfica?

Just once. I took 7 plains game on my first trip (kudu, impala, warthog, gemsbok, zebra, duiker, blue wildebeast). I'm already planning another trip. I'll probably go for waterbuck, eland and hartebeast on the next trip. Leopard and buffalo for trips 3 and 4. I got bit by the africa bug bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
nice but paint the walls white

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote