Find
Notify
Tools

My basement/trophy room
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
I don't really have a trophy room, I just have a big basement living room full of my animals. I hope to have a trophy room some day.

I apologize in advance that some of the pics are not perfect; had a hard time getting great pics with so so lighting, shadows, etc.

My first black bear. DIY in northern Idaho.

DIY, Northern Utah Mtn Lion

DIY, northern Utah turkey

DIY, northern Idaho black bear

Oklahoma Blackbuck

Alaska Yukon Moose taken with Steve O'Brien.

DIY, Prince of Wales Island 7ft Black Bear, 19 9/16" skull.

150lb Halibut Tail taken with T N T Adventures on the Cook Inlet

My first turkey, DIY, northern Utah.

More to follow.....

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post

Some of my Blaauwkrantz Safaris from 2011.

More to follow...

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Looking forward to more pictures Smiler
Really nice trophies!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice room and super trophies.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post

By far one of my favorites, Nyala from Blaauwkrantz. Will most likely never shoot another one and had to do a life size.

Both are Eastern Cape Kudu. I have always thought a Zebra shoulder mount was one of the neatest mounts I had ever seen. I had to do it. I love how they turned out and think the bases turned out incredibly nice.

Cape Grysbok from the Eastern Cape. I love the Tiny 10 and think this mount turned out amazing.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
That's about the longest grysbok I've seen. Not super heavy, but looooooong.

I want to see that mulie up close.

Trophy quality is excellent.

Congrats.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Will, thanks for the kind words. Definitely more pics to follow including the North America stuff.

I am very proud of the Grysbok. It was quite an experience.

Justin

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
you almost need a bigger room! Thats always a good thing!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Yes, the room is almost full and my 2012 Kanana safari is still in Botswana. A good problem to have in my mind.

One of my most beloved trophies. The Vaal Rhebok. I will have to get a good full size photo to post. My son thinks it is fun to touch its fur; glad it is high on the wall.

In my younger days I had to hunt Antelope every year. All or DIY. They came from Utah, New Mexico and Wyoming.

I had the under side of the buffalo hide painted. I think it turned out very nice.

Had to do a shoulder mount. Most likely the only American Buff I ever take.

DIY, northern Utah. My dad was there; great experience.

More to follow....

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post

Taken in Eastern Colorado with AR's very own Aaron Nielson and Sean Sander of Royal Mountain Adventures.

Pictures don't do this buck justice. There is not one good angle to show off all of his rack.

He has double back forks on the right side, big front fork, missing eye guard and broken small drop tine.

His left side has a little bit of everything. Trident and cheaters on the back fork, big front fork, broken eye guard.

Sean nicknamed him Trash Can and he was an old fighting warrior. He was quite broken up.

Feel very fortunate to have taken him.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
thats alot of hunting, very nice

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Very nice collection of animals. Thanks for posting them.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments.

Taken with Kawdy Outfitters in Northern B.C.

A trophy I thought I would never take since I have really bad knees. Thanks to guide Russ B. we got it done. An ancient old goat. He was aged at 13 years and would not have made it through the winter. His hooves were worn and coming apart and he did not have any teeth left.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies and taxidermy! tu2

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
love the bison. where did you take it and how big was it.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Whata great verity of trophies! Love the moose along with several others! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
The Bison came from the Houck(sp?) Ranch in South Dakota. Not the biggest bull we saw but he had a perfect hide and that was what I was after.

I was shocked to watch the buff run and there would be a cow fence and they would not even break stride and just run over it, through it, or whatever you will call it like there was not even anything there. I was shocked to say the least.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post

Utah DIY moose. My grandpa and dad where there. Great experience. Happened when I was a youngster in my late teens. The first animal I ever got mounted. Shot it with a muzzleloader in northern Utah.

Had to have a rug.

Mtn Reedbuck from Blaauwkrantz.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How tall are those ceilings? I'm the ceiling inquisitor these days as I'll be moving soon and will have to consolidate my trophies in my new home. I too have a kudu and a bison that are fairly tall mounts and my gemsbok is a tall bugger too.

Bedrooms on one level, detached garage, acreage so my dogs don't drive the neighbours nuts, tall ceilings for trophies, affordable...House shopping eats the big one.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J...

Wow!!! Wow!!! Wow!!!

Alot of fond memories are in that basement my friend!

It's a MOST beautiful room...downright REMARKABLE!!!

You have hunted and collected alot of very FINE animals and experiences indeed...
Congratulations!!! tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the memories. When you get older and decripit, you can look back and reminisce. (if you can remember anything when you get older)

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Nyala mount!

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Dang, you've got some real nice stuff there!

Your room is begging for a cape buffalo! Big Grin

Nice variety of game there.

Cheers,

Chris

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
The ceilings are 9ft 5". Biggest single form I could find without paying an arm and a leg to add additional forms and double the cost of the foundation. I wanted more but $$$ dictated that would not happen at this point.

I agree, a buff is a must and at the top of my bucket list.

I have several other north american species to still post pics of. Just trying to get the right ones to post.

My body is already falling apart, born with bad knees, and so everything in my room is just a bonus.

I have been lucky and taken some really nice species and cannot wait to get back to Africa and take the wife to NZ.

I have a dozen plus trophies coming back from Botswana from 2012 but suspest a lot of those will be euro mounts. I have to mount the biggest Kudu and a 44 1/2" Gemsbok without question. One at a time, one at a time.

I have decided, time permitting, that I am going to take the smaller mounts out one at a time and take some pictures outside with natural light during the day. Much better pics. I will post a couple I took yesterday. Natural light is so much better than the dark light in the basement. It does not light up like a Christmas tree but I did not want it to either, just does not make for good pics.

Thanks for viewing and the comments.

More to follow....

Justin

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Just giving you a hard time on the buff.

Thierry Labat mentioned he'd talked to you so I was trying to stoke your fire a bit more. Big Grin

Really nice room and some great animals and more to come I'm sure.

Regards,

Chris

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I talked to Thierry and one time in my life, preferably buff, I want to go on safari with him. I will make Will give him a couple of weeks off and Theirry can go with me. Smiler

I am jealous, Will and Thierry are going after a couple of buff this fall.

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
I talked to Thierry and one time in my life, preferably buff, I want to go on safari with him. I will make Will give him a couple of weeks off and Theirry can go with me. Smiler

I am jealous, Will and Thierry are going after a couple of buff this fall.

I hunted with him last year and am chasing elephant and buffalo with him this June.

Will is a good salesman!

Chris

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post

Taken with Kawdy Outfitters and guides Bart Lancaster and Jesse Dutchik. They were both taken on the same day. It was an incredible day. We shot two record book moose, one record book caribou and another very big caribou. The day of days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Little Joe that is a heck of a trophy room. In your basement to say the least. It looks great. I bet you have some great stories to tell about each one of those. You must have a very understanding wife also.

Posts: 18 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Fishcarver, where are you from in N Utah?

I am very fortunate and have a very nice basement. Someday a trophy room, I hope.

I am currently waiting on a Cape Springbok and Blesbok mount to finish off my Blaauwkrantz mounts.

My wife, bless her heart, came from a family where her dad is a hunter. We just have certain rules about which rooms animals can or cannot be hung in. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the pics guys. Beautiful stuff. I don't have much of a trophy room but his is it.....

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Very nice animals. I would like a really nice Whitetail.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post

DIY, Wyoming muley. Not the biggest buck but my dad and best friend were there and we used our horses to haul it out. Something I will always remember.

I decided to take the (2) kudu and zebra outside for some pictures in the real light. Much better pics I think. Amazing what real light does.

My biggest moose and wolf skull to follow....

One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Love your North American collection, I also like the Zebra done as a pedestal.
It was funny, everything I was going to ask about, it came up in your next post. I was waiting to see a Big Brown Bear.
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little Joe, who mounted/where did you get the pedestals for kudu and zebra? I really like those.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
wawooo beautiful trophies.....and nice decore

ur 3 greatest hunts r, ur 1st,ur last,and ur next!!!!

Posts: 254 | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Little Joe

Im up here in Logan. You going to the SCI banquet in SLC? If so I will see you there.

Posts: 18 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
JG, I love the pedestals as well!!!! Brian at Dakota Taxidermy mounted those three mounts and did the pedestals as well. I did not show off the Kudu pedestals very well but they are the same wood as the Zebra and have an Africa cut out with Kudu hide inlay. Wow cool. Thanks Brian.

I wish I was going to SCI SLC but not going to make it this year. Had something very unexpected come up and trying to figure out how to deal with it.

Justin

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Lots of memories there tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote