New
Find
Notify
Tools

New house and trophy ideas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got married later in life, and now it's been a couple years and the damn stork is working full time so are blessed with some babies.

Wife doesn't like taxidermy, so keeping the peace with her has meant it's been in storage until we can get a new place.

We are looking at moving (not sure where yet) and building a new house.

I had this idea of doing a 12 foot ceiling on the basement floor of the new house with the house buried into the side of a hill. If we can get back deep enough and the angle of the hill is shallow enough I was thinking I could bury the eyesore of a 12 foot tall basement/garage floor in the side of the hill.

Then have a machine shop, wood shop and trophy room (3 spaces) downstairs and a garage.

Flip side is buy a house and build a trophy room as an addition or into a new shop.

What do you think would be a better option?

Posts: 33 | Location: Lander, Wyoming | Registered: 31 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Build what you want/need.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Just like the salesman told me when purchasing my gun safe. He said, figure what you'll need, then buy the next size larger. That was good advice but I'm now in need of the larger size yet!

Build that trophy room a bit larger than you think you'll need. They tend to fill up quickly. Especially if you start putting a few life sized animals on the floor.

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
If you go with the basement it is cheaper to build up than out.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
up is cool, but trophies tend to not look so dramatic if it is hard to make eye contact.

I had my Buff up high, and people were always commenting on how nice his neck looked. Now, he is closer to eye level, and they give guests the "look at you as if you owe them money..." stare that Ruark wrote about.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:
If you go with the basement it is cheaper to build up than out.

Jim

Good to know, thanks a lot.

Posts: 33 | Location: Lander, Wyoming | Registered: 31 January 2011Reply With Quote