New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting buck shot from a rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone ever tried shooting a lead buck shot from a rifle? I guess what I mean is instead of using a cast lead bullet has anyone seated a lead buck shot in a rifle case with a light charge of powder for plinking.

If so, what size of buck shot would work for 25, 26, 28 and 30 cal rifles. Seems like an inexpensive way to have fun.

Please describe your reloading technique in detail.

Thanks

7-30 Waters

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've done it. 0 buck thumb presses into unsized .30 cal cases. Just decap, prime, drop in 3 grains of Bullseye or 5 of Unique and rub a little bullet lube into the case mouth. Some rifles give squirrel accuracy to 25 yards.

Some batches of 000 will work in .35s and some won't.

My best trick is shooting .490 RBs in a .45-70. Those you run through a .459 sizer first. They size better and come out more unformly if you lube them first. Same trick works for sizes you don't have RBs for. I have some 0000 that I have sized and shot in .38s. #1 Buck sized would be your best bet for .270s and 7mms.

[ 11-07-2003, 04:48: Message edited by: Leftoverdj ]

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot quite a bit of 0 buck in 30's although I find quite often I can't get the cartridge chambered unless I run it thru a .311 sizer first. If I can chamber it, I shoot it. It works real well in my Marlin 32 SPecial with .319 bore. No sizing required there for sure. I usually just throw in 3.1 grains of Bullseye and shoot. I also cast 380 rb's for my 375 Winchester and shoot them over 3.1 grains of Bullseye also. They'll shoot pretty much squirrel head accuracy at 25 yd. I've a mold that throws one rb and one Lyman 37583, both a little on the small side. The rb gets run thru a 359 sizer and shoots good in 38's or 357 mag with 3.1 gr. Bullseye. (I have a Lyman 55 that's just locked at 3.1 gr. Bullseye, thus all the 3.1 gr. loads.) Like Leftoverdj said, just smear a little lube on 'em OR dose 'em with Lee's alox. Seems to make little difference as they're short range loads anyway. Try it, you'll like it!

Regards, Woody

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote