New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 30 Car. Cast Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just sized 500+ cases. Found a few 7.62x33 marked too.

I'm shooting an M1 Carbine and Ruger Single Six.

What are your favorite loads in cast for:

1. Quiet load
2. Heavy bullet load
3. Hunting - squirrel/rabbit
4. Accuracy?

Thanks!

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have one cast bullet load for the .30 carbine. It's Lyman bullet #311316, a gas checked semiwadcutter. I load it with 5.0 gr. of Unique for use in my Ruger Blackhawk. Smacks down jackrabbits right nicely. From the bench, I can usually keep five shots in about a 1.5 to 2.0" groups which ain't bad with my bad eyeballs. (nearsighted as hell with strong glasses that make seeing the sight difficult) I've never shot them in an M-1 carbine though. I doubt they'd function the action. Probably could use them as if the gun was a straight pull action though.
I'm not sure I'd want to shoot cast bullets in the carbine though. They just might end up clogging the gas port with shaved off lead and lube.
Nice thing about that load is you don't need a hammer and rod to pound out those stuck cases from the hot carbime ammo. Velocity probably in the 950-975 FPS range. I never bothered to chronograph the load.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Paul!

I found 50 rounds I'd loaded with 5.5gr of unique and the 311316 some 3 years ago and never tried. Did minute of 3x5 card at 25 yards with both the Blackhawk and the Carbine. Easier to see the sights on the carbine - peep and the front one is way out there. Didn't work the action at all. Found that the Blackhawk NEEDS to have properly trimmed cases.

I'm not worrying about the gas piston as I've got a wrench to take it apart.

Thanks for the perspective!

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
I use the Speer 100 gr plinkers in both R & P there 1/2 lead RN W/Copper 1/2 jacket, they work great, I also cast 95gr RN and use Unique in both.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt-ducks:
I use the Speer 100 gr plinkers in both R & P there 1/2 lead RN W/Copper 1/2 jacket, they work great, I also cast 95gr RN and use Unique in both.

How hard do you drive the 95's? Which mould?

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer

One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
trk,
You might also want to check out the CB forum www.castboolits.gunloads.com where you will find hundreds of loads for both rifle and revolver and be able to post directly with the folks who worked them up.
I have had good luck with Lee "soupcans" 113 FPGC with Unique in my 10" Contender and 2400 in my M1 Carbine.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, and I did. Looks like you're not the only one to recommend the soupcan.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer

One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
Yes, I noticed you over there, too.
I've also been casting the Lee 311-100-2R in ww sized to .310 for the Contender, but haven't had a chance to shoot any yet. They were around 3" 10shots @25yds sized to .308, but I think they'll do a lot better. Soupcans (ww, .308) and 110 jacketed will stay around 1.5" @25 and 2" @50. As long as your chamber throats are consistant, you ought to have pretty good results.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3.0-3.5 grains of bullseye with the lyman 130 PB
that bullet may be a bit on the small side for the ruger, a different bullet may work in the carbine.

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
I may have mentioned this before, if so please excuse my CRS.

I like the Lyman 311359 PT GC @ 120 grains in my alloy. Usually 12 to 13 grains H 4227 cycles the action reliably (and the pointed nose doesn't hurt) and shoots "minute of carbine" accurate in the GI Carbine.

I am going to try the "soupcan" in the BH, but don't seem to have a round tuit just now. Wink

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only use of this cartridge is in a blackhawk.

Full loads are jacketed SP.s of course. H110, or H4227 has been my only powder and from 12 to 12.5 gr, tried 13gr and it's just a tad more than I want to shoot in this gun.

About 20yrs ago when butchering a couple 1200#steers I shot one with this load and the instant death made the butcher helping us mad as hell. Because it stopped his heart and wouldn't bleed out. Don't think he bled a full gallon total til skinned and quartered.

He gave me the slug back and said it was buried in the back half the Atlas joint, 11" penetration. This was about a 15 foot shot to the head face on, just like it's supposed to be done. Was a mighty impressive kill.

For plinking w/cast. I use a 6 hole Lee RN mold that produce's 115gr. With recycled bullet scrap real hard.

Then I only use 3.5-5gr Red Dot, so far, I haven't loaded the cast loads hot. I use the same bullets in any .30 cal for plinking with the same loading, even in my .300 Win M. They're perfect for teaching women and kids how to shoot the big guns without hurting, or scaring them.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5946 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote