THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternative ways of attaching Gas Checks ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jimmy Mac
posted
I have many types of bullets that I would like to shoot unsized, yet push them to the speed allowed by gas checks.

Has anyone come up with a way to attach checks without going through a sizer ? I was wondering about the tiniest drop of super glue on a clean check to a clean base.

My sizing dies collection is limited to a bunch of Lee sizers.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Jimmy Mac
Here is an idea.
I use a piece of 1/4 in plate glass lay the 'crimp on' gas checks on and push the gas check onto the bullet. Most glass shops have broken pieces of plate glass that they will give you or sell for next to nothing. The sharp edges can be rounded with an aluminum oxide stone or emory cloth.
Then I'll set a piece of flat steel on bottom the sizer luber and with with a flat nose punch finish pressing the bullet into the gas check.
I've not done it but I think a reloading press could be used with some Rube Goldberg configuration using a bullet seating die and a flat punch to seat the gas check.
The seating of the bullet in the case and the crimping the case should keep the gas check in place, as long as the case is not a bottle necked case and the bullet base is not below the neck.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Mac:
I have many types of bullets that I would like to shoot unsized, yet push them to the speed allowed by gas checks.

Has anyone come up with a way to attach checks without going through a sizer ? I was wondering about the tiniest drop of super glue on a clean check to a clean base.

Been there done that with the glue. Caveat is check dia per safety once seated in the rd. Remember it has to allow a neck dia for safe chambering..

Do you have one Lee die to 'burn'? Meaning, one of those must be collecting some dust?? Lap it out to the dia which allows shooten your slugs unsized but still mounts a check. Easiest way is coating scrap bullets with lapping coumpound and pushing them thru. Goes fast-- I use LBT bore lap which is 240 grit methinks..

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Mac:

There's another way to mount checks sans sizing the bullet with a Lee die. Push them base first to the depth doing the job and tap that slug back out. I've used a cartridge case filled with alloy, center bored to allow a nose punch stem to under-- set that bullet nose on and run it up. Again tapping the bullet base out.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever hear of a Baseguard design? Its on my "to do" list.

www.swage.com

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I took a pair of wire cutting pliers, clamped the jaws shut with vise grips, and drilled a hole at the part line the size of the base of the slug I wanted. It worked quite well to manually crimp one at a time.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman does sell a little gizmo that you use to just seat gas checks without sizing. I've heard a lot of people badmouth the thing, but if you want to seat checks without sizing, it does do the job. It works on the Lyman lube/sizer, but I don't know if it will work on anything else. I use it on bullets I don't want to size but need checks and it has worked OK for me.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote