THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has taken game with the Lee 309-170-F?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Just got to thinking that I can't recall reading any stories of hunters killing their deer, bear, etc, with this fine gas-checked boolit. They come out at 178 grains checked from my range scrap alloy. Have an old Marlin 36 in .30-WCF inbound, and hope the bore is good enough to shoot this boolit well.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both my son and I have taken deer with this Lee mould. Got the load data upstairs in my load book. It seems to shoot better in his Win 94 than my Marlin 336.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Uncle Grinch. Always nice to see a deer harvested with cast. beer

– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Bill
I have some of those bullets but haven't gotten around to shooting them. If you do post your results please.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Will do, friend. Perhaps this week.
The circa 1947 Marlin Model 36 arrived and while it shows plenty of use, the bore is excellent. Love that old Marlin Ballard rifling!

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you'll like the 36.
it doesn't have the sucky 336's barrel that needs 311-312 diameter bullets to do well.

pick bout any load you want, I've used everything from bulls-eye up through 4831 in the 30-30.
yeah 4831,, try 34-36grs of whatever flavor you got on hand for about 1850 fps.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Phooey. No 4831 either ... Twenty-one smokeless powders on hand, plus black, and why is it the ones I read about being best for this or that round are among the missing? I think it is a curse.
Confused

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill:

I traded for an old rusted out bore '17 Enfield for a rebuild.
Before getting started a friend running the CMP matches wanted to ty it out.

"06, 165gr hard cast, not the one you asked about.
He loaded it with 15gr Red Dot.

200 yard CMP.

He won every match with it.

So don't be concerned about bores.

glad that one came thru with a good one.

Miss our chats, still getting kickbacks every time.
Hell of it is, yours come thru fine.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2400 will get you there, unique, 4198, 4064,4895, and 3031 no problems.

they'll all match the original loading and stay within pressure.
you could even use H-110 if you are brave enough, 1680 works well and so does AA-2230.

I mostly use 2230 it's just too easy to take the powder dump off the 223 tool head and move it to the 30-30.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Didn't take my chronograph, but the Model 36 liked the Lee bullet reasonably well over 22 grains of AA 5744. I need to replace the front sight with a higher and finer bead as these loads were shooting six to eight inches high at 50 yards.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good grouping Bill.

Any chance you have some .58 cal slugs or balls?

A friend just got an old Springfield 1864 BP.

Tried to send you his pictures.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
George, email sent.

– John Green, author