New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Guns for cast?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Never ownened one, but their reputation for accuracy is getting around. Has anyone tried them for cast and what were the results? Anyone know how true their bore and throat sizes are?

Took me over two months to get some details from Sako per the Tikka's specs. From the first responses claiming high tolerances it turned out the barrel specs are up to plus one thou. I wonder how that's possible with a hammer forged barrel.... Locally they have a good reputation for accuracy too.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin, I have some experience with both. I never shot lead though. Both of these guns are as accurate as some custom guns. I have never seen one that didn't shoot very tight groups. I would do the one shot break in with condom bullets. One shot, clean out all copper, then another shot and clean, for 20 shots. Then do the same every 2 to 4 shots. Takes time but is well worth the results. Then go to lead and I don't think you will have a leading problem.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
are you after info on the 110 and siblings? I'm a mod.99 shooter,sundry calibers, but no sav.bolt guns,other than the closet queens super sporters in 30/30 and 30 Gov. Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a '70s Savage LH 110 that gave me 1.25" groups with lino bullets and the late lamented BulletMaster lube at 2700 fps. That barrel is long gone and it's been a .257 AI for years.

I've gotten excellent results from a Savage 23 in .25-20 and a Savage 99 in .250-3000 with cast.

Somehow, I don't think this is quite what you are asking, but I know nothing of current production. My guns tend to be as old or older than I.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leftoverdj, you actually like that black liquid lube? Cleaning out the old reloading shed today, prior to demolition of same, I came across a little can of it. Don't know how freezing and unfreezing for several years will have affected it, but if I can find a suitable box to ship it, you are welcome to it. Email me at elbler@rabbitbrush.com if interested.

Ernie

Posts: 52 | Location: Spring Creek, NV | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .223 M12 FLVSS. Out of the box in that cheap plastic stock it grouped into .7 moa! I use the NEI .224-71-gcdd cast from ww, lubed with Lyman super moly powered by 17 gr. of VV N120 for around 2450fps. If you do a search of this board for articles by myself you will find a lot more info on my work with the savage. Also in the archives of the CB-L e-mail list.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find wheelweights to be better for casting. Savage melting point too high.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote