New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuesday at the Range
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
.......You'uns won't believe this (well, those who know me anyway) but I won $5 shooting a peestol :-) Okay I see you're back up in the chair off the floor. Had one of the Burrito Shooters suggest 2 weeks ago that we shoot 22RF pistols. The responce was kinda, "well okay". So last Tuesday I brought out the Ruger Mk2-678 and some ammo (Win Super-X purchased 11-87) to practice.

You know, keeping your eyes open when yanking the trigger and trying to keep the front sight somewhere NEAR the 6 o'clock on the bull. I shot an 88 on the small pistol bull at 25 yards. I'm pleased with myself and tell Dave who's idea it was in the 1st place. He says, "My wife can shoot better than that. What's the big deal?"

Well excuuuuse me! I was a bit taken aback as he's no better a pistol shot than me. So I said I bet $5 I'd beat him next Tuesday. He asked if that was all the more confident I was. Trying to scare me off? Anyway I beat him. I didn't win the Burrito Match, but I beat HIM :-)!

As far as cast bullets go I just loaded up 80 rounds of 7.65x53 Argentine using 4 different loads, for 2 rifles. Both are M1909 Cavalry Carbines. Really short rifles as they have 24" bbls but that's what they call'em. One is more accurate than the other, and I'm going to sell one. Yet in my load data, rifle ID is just: 1st rifle, or 2nd rifle. For the life of me I can't remember which one I got first!

So I've loaded up 40 rounds for each using the Lyman 314299 and 22.0 IMR4227, 23.0 H4198, 16.0 2400, and 12.0 SR7625. These were the most accurate loadings in my data and were all for the FIRST rifle. All I have to do is to shoot these through both rifles to identify which is which. Easy, eh?

..........Buckshot (until someone screams foul)

Posts: 119 | Location: Redlands, Calif | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Estimado, Buck..Whit, whatever, sorry to hear you have had such a stressful week, but at least vengeance was yours, along with a burrito, on Tuesday.

So whatdya done to them Argie '09 'carbines? Nada I suppose, as is yer wont. Got one myself, that does shoot, so thinking glass bedding und a receiver sight at the least. What say ye, ifn you was fergetting about the "as issued" litany an goin fer accuracy??? Am neither inclined(like the 'big carbine' military look of the Argie '09; '91 seems like a child's toy next to it)nor can I afford the full sporterizing route, what with all my other galenic distractions, most especially that of the lowly orbe.

---kid jethrow---

Posts: 31 | Location: Arizona, cerca de la frontera y lejos de D�os | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.......Jethrow, what'd I DO to'em? Well I cleaned'em and oiled the stocks and rebuffed the bolts and actions. Guess I turned cruddy $250 (current) rifles into real nice looking $150 rifles :-). Other than that, nuthing! My 2 M91 Infantries shoot so well I've neglected these two M98 types. I don't need 2 of'em and if I'm going to sell one it might as well be the least accurate. At least is was for me.

Might be a bedding issue as both have fairly clean barrels with some shine to them. Just looking down the barrels doesn't tell me anything. Have to shoot'em to tell which is what. I understand you're a flint lock fool these days?

.........Buckshot

Posts: 119 | Location: Redlands, Calif | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buck...whit, yep I too like them slicked up and devaluated military bolt guns. My route on the M91/M1909 fin de s�ecle Argentine contract rifles has been much the same as your own. Doubt that either of us will ever go the full sporterizing route on that '98, darling of the Mauser sporterizers. Paul B. has one of them full-blown sporters, right down to the exhibition-grade wood---a real beauty!

..."flint-lock fool", yep that's me, but more inclusive, do shoot percussions now and then too. Worst part of it is that them folks shoot pissolas regularly tool. Let me slide with an 1858 Remington at last Sunday's festivities(what a circus that was, and one hell of an upper body workout too--some four hours of it and close to a hunert roundballs downrange cutting wood, ringing chain snakes and assorted gongs, as well as punching paper. Cast ball moulds now number close to ten, but alloy is a no brainer, and lube is a pretty simple matter as well. Spit seems to work better than anything else for range work, on that cloth-sheathed galenic orbe, though some stuff called Lehigh Lube seems to be a cut above the rest of the commercial stuff.

Still plowing familiar fields too. Recently picked up a 38-55 Marlin. Have found the new oversized Lee(oxymoron?}.375 mould, dropping .380"plus boolits, more effective at traditional velocities(and no ga$$check either)than either the Lyman ...248 or ...449 offerings.
---kid jethrow---

Posts: 31 | Location: Arizona, cerca de la frontera y lejos de D�os | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote