New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHAT ARE HOMECAST BULLETS WORTH?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I TOOK SOME TIME ABOUT 6 YRS AGO TO CAST BULLETS AND WHEN I WAS DONE I HAD 5 VELVEETA BOXES FULL OF 150 GR .357 BULLETS CAST FROM GOOD RANGE LEAD. A VELVEETA BOX HOLDS APPOX. 460 BULLETS. WHAT ARE LUBRISIZED BULLETS WORTH. I THINK I HAVE ENOUGH TO LAST THE REST OF MY LIFE BUT I'M CURIOUS AS THE VALUE OF EM. THANX.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Commercial cast .38s go for about $15 for 500.

I'm glad Velveeta is good for something.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Whatever you can get for them. Seriously. I've seen newbie's pay thru the nose for average cast and then some good bullets sold for peanuts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tasco - If by "Range Cast" you mean they were cast out of lead picked up down range, they are probably pretty soft lead...and as such not too desirable to many cast bullet shooters. However, extremely hard cast isn't always necessary for 38/357 work as they shoot at a wide spectrum of velocities.

Anyhow, to answer your question, you can probably peddle them for $12-$15/500. If you haven't lube sized them, perhaps you could sell them as is for a bit less to someone who wants to size them to suit himself. Take them to a gunshow and you can probably get rid of them.

There are such good quality cast bullets available on the internet today that I won't spend the time sitting over a stove of lead vapor, sweating my butt off, to make them. I just buy them and I'm done with it.

Not that there isn't a lot of fun in making your own. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANX AGAIN FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow.

I do not sell my bullets. I only give them to some friends every now and then but when they come to buy I say no. I give them more.

Different views about casting,it seems.

Posts: 81 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'M NOT LOOKIN TO SELL ANY BULLETS I'M JUST WONDERING WHAT THEY ARE WORTH.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoa, now....

Lessee.

Making my own cast bullets at home, I can:

-choose from THOUSANDS of different designs, the vast majority of which are not available commercially

-select the alloy I want

-select the the hardness that I want in my bullets

-choose the sizing diameter to suit MY guns

-pick the lube I want, OR make my own, OR modify an existing lube

-be INDEPENDENT of outside sources of supply

-enjoy a creative and SAFE addition to the hobby of handloading (lead doesn't vaporize at temperatures reached by most casting furnaces)

-cast thousands upon thousands of bullets, without limit except ambition and/or energy

-SAVE MONEY, to a degree determined strictly by consumption of bullets.....the more I shoot, the more I save, compared to buying bullets. My own RCBS 44-250-KTs cost about ONE-SEVENTH of one cent, per bullet, ready to load. $1.40 per thousand!!! Equipment is amortized very quickly indeed at that rate, compared to the cost of buying bullets.

Seems like I always have more time than money anyway, and spending time casting bullets has seemed like a fine investment idea to me for almost forty years! I must be up to about forty-or-more molds by now.....they seem to multiply when I'm not looking. In addition, recycling all those used wheelweights is a productive thing all in itself (grin).

On top of all this, I make BETTER bullets than I can buy ( I firmly believe this to be true.) I would cast my own even if it cost MORE than buying them.

Regards from Bren Mk1

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YOU ARE EXACTLY CORRECT BREN...........

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've never tried to put a value on my cast bullets, casting is an enjoyable past time and extension of reloading.

Then again, I have sold some cast bullets here and there as well as using them as trading stock. Since I cast for some of the more uncommon calibers, and due to shipping costs up to AK, I can get 1/2 decent prices on bullets, running from $12-20/100.

I also agree with Bruce that I can cast better bullets then I can buy.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote