New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good mould for 30-30?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys, I am looking to get a mould for my 30-30. It doesn't have to be RNFP as I do not intend on cycling it from the magazine, but will single shot shoot it!

What I am looking for is the most inherently accurate projectile for 100 yard competition.

I have been using some plain based 165GR RNFP and they are quite good.

Also some 165GR RN bore riders that are gas check, but these have horrible accuracy (whether its the projectile or load I couldn't say for sure, but they are no more inaccurate if I leave the gas check off). I think I will just melt them down

I would rather not have a gas check projectile. These are the ones I am considering:
www.castbulletengineering.com....-155pb-single-cavity
www.castbulletengineering.com....-172pb-single-cavity

What do you think is this design likely to potentially be accurate?

Posts: 49 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 December 2011Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Andy, that link did not seem to work for me, but here is the catalog page:

http://www.castbulletengineeri...ibre?Page=3&Items=12

My 30-30 has a bit longer throat so I'd go with the larger bullet but if I had to choose what I'd try to do is see if you could purchase 50 of each type and see what shoots best in your gun before you purchase the mould.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"What I am looking for is the most inherently accurate projectile for 100 yard competition."
If your going to go custom you may as well slug the throat as veral smith does. One draw back is it may or may not fit in other 30 caliber throat/chambers.
CBE has a very good reputation though. I would say a note to them would not hurt a thing.
I have gotten very picky as to how my cast shoot and perform. A very good to excellent mold can very seldom be gotten for those that are made for the masses.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For over a hundred years the old Lyman 308 or 311 041 has been the go to bullet in lever guns. Many still shoot it in the various 30's in Cast Bullet Assn registered competition.

NOE offers the mold design these days. What are you going to shoot it in?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is very similar to the 165GN plain base design that I have had reasonable sucess with!

I am trying to avoid gas checks (cost and extra effort) as for my target shooting an accurate load doesn't need to be >1600 FPS!

It may not be the projectile, it may be my load! So far I have tried the 3 loads that have worked well with the plain base and slowly worked them up, but no luck yet.

I use H4227, H4198 and H4895 for the plain base.

Should I try increasing the H4895 further, there is a lot of room for manouvre upward?

Howeve if anyone knows of any good projectiles that are plain base I am all ears!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit of information might help:

What loading technique are you using? Are you using a neck expander, and are you crimping? Are you single loading or loading from a magazine?

Is the projectile pushed into the lands when loaded? (Cast bullets typically don't like bullet jump...)

How closely does bullet diameter match bore diameter? Or, what are you sizing to? (Slightly over groove diameter is usually helpful, in my experience, and sometimes pan lubing and shooting un-sized works better than sizing at all, especially if you are shooting plain based bullets...)

Which lube are you using? Lubes make a world of difference...

What alloy are you using? Too hard can be as much of an issue as too soft...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using the Lyman M neck expander, then crimping with the lee factory crimp die.

Yes the projectile is pushed into the lands, it takes a bit of pressure to close the lever!

The bullet diameter is .309" the bore slugs at .308"

I put the projectile in a ice cream tub and cover them in Lee Alox with a few drops of turpentine to thin it.

The BHN is similar to a Lyman number 2.

I have tried loads (+1,2 and 3 grains), that have been successful with a plain based version of Lyman 311041.

I using powders H4227, H4198 and H4895 in my loads.

Perhaps the assumption of a projectile seated further forward means lower pressure and hence needs more powder was an over simplification!

Maybe I just over did it and 1/2 and grain would do it.

posted Hide Post
I had a plainbeased 311291 that shot great in several 30/30's at mid/mod speeds.... I wanted something flatnosed for hunting so like a darn fool I sold it instead of just buying a deer killer bullet mould. Maybe you could get one of the custom makers to make one to fit your throat/leade.

Happiness Is a Target Rich Environment.

Posts: 2 | Location: Central Michigan | Registered: 23 February 2013Reply With Quote