Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red or Blue Lube
 Login/Join

posted
Im getting ready to order my first load of cast bullets and a friend told me to only get ones lubed in blue but after searching web 90% of suppliers use red lube and I'm wondering if my friend knows what hes talking about

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used red lube and blue lube and orange lube and white lube. All have seemed to do their job of greasing the bullet down the bore. Some work better during hot weather and others better in cold weather.
FWIW though, I cast and lube my own bullets and I've used the NRA formula (50/50 Alox and beewax), Lyman's Magic orange, which I like, the softer version of LBT Blue and Felix lube. The NRA formula works better in cooler to colder wather, but the it gets hotter'n hell here in Tucson and it is a softer lube that can get messy when it's hot. The only time I used bullets with red lube was when I had to do up 2,000 rounds of .45 ACP and did not have the time to cast and lube my own bullets. I got them from a local business that made the bullets and they shot just as accurately in my handgun as the ones I made myself.
I won't say your friend is full of it as we all have our preferences on lube. It's just in 54 years of playing with cast bullets almost all of the commercially made bullet lubes worked just fine, even the nasty old black stuff Lyman used to sell.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
meister uses blue
laser cast uses green
i think hunters run uses blue also
it is all from the same company
i used to order red and blue and mix
to make purple.
most commercial casters use a 2 tin 6 antimony
mix, laser cast has their own with silver
mixed in giving them a harder[ too hard unless you want real high velocity] bullet

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Like with ties, I let the color of my shirt dictate what color lube I'm using.
Been using LBT Blue for years for everything.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I use Thompson's Red Angel. Takes heat to make it work, but it serves me well... Just pick a color, and go!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried many things years ago and the old NRA formula of 50/50 beeswax / alox still seems to work the best for me with heavy loads. For light target loads about anything will work.

Remember that the bulk loaders are concerned with the lube staying on the bullets when they are bulk packed and jumbled around in the boxes so they require a hard lube. It stays on pretty well - I picked many bullets up out of the dirt back stop with all the lube still intact in grooves. Perhaps too much stays in the grooves to lube well with hot loads?

The mention of the old black Lyman stuff brings back memories. I think that stuff was some sort of grease with graphite in it. It was a nasty mess that I think was finally killed off by the alox - beeswax mix. RIP

I did pick up a tin of Mobile 1 synethetic grease the other day that I may try mixing with beeswax to see how it works as a lube. If it is any good I'll post results here. If it does not work out I'll add to my long list of failed experiments.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rooster Red Zambini is the one for me (red) Its hard and works great in pistol and rifle and isnt messy Need a heater

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
http://www.mtbaldybullets.com/
Mt. Baldy Bullets uses my Carnauba Red lube. It is a semi-hard lube that works great for most applications. The guys at Mt. Baldy are great to deal with and have a nice selection of bullets.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm with Philbilly. I like Rooster Red. It's not messy and it drys hard. Lyman Orange magic isn't bad either.

Posts: 21 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: 01 May 2008Reply With Quote