New
Find
Notify
Tools

Graphite easy drop from Midway
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just put a Lee 6 hole in service (140 gr RN .358) and I sprayed it with the Midway graphite bullet release spray which is supposed to be graphite. I applied it oer directions and waited for it to dry. I went thru normal mold heat up and began to cast. I can't fill the cavity with lead. My thought is the air vents are blocked by the graphite. Anyone else have this problem??

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Probably.

I use a butane lighter to lightly smoke the mold, then just go to work.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don!

I usually use kitchen matches or a candle, but thought I would try this new fangled graphite stuff...bet it's a bitch to get off!! Back to the old fashion way!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lr 49, Use denatured or isopropyl alcohol and an old, soft toothbrush & cotton swab to remove the graphite. Also, I've used NAPA's dgf 123 on several molds, including a Lee 6-cavity, and have had no fill-out problems to speak of.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Denatured alcohol worked great!! Thanks!!

Any ideas on how to get all the black stuff out of my wife's tooth brush??

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
i dont like coating molds with anything. I just takes up the space the lead is suppose too!!!!

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Smale:
i dont like coating molds with anything. I just takes up the space the lead is suppose too!!!!

Which can be useful.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote