Find
Notify
Tools

Opening a Lee sizer ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jimmy Mac
posted
Back in the old days Of Shooter's Talk forum, there was lot's of discussion on how to open up a lee cast bullet sizing die.

Did anyone save a copy of that post, or remember the details ?

"We have met the enemy, and they are us." - Pogo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to http://castpics.net and look under "research".

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You can get an adjustable lap from a machine shope supply house. Add some clover compound and have at it. Just realize it is a very slow method of cutting, and it can take awhile jus to remove 0.001".

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
You can get an adjustable lap from a machine shope supply house. Add some clover compound and have at it. Just realize it is a very slow method of cutting, and it can take awhile jus to remove 0.001".

I got plenty of adjustable laps. I call them "cull bullets". Three or four greased up with 320 grit Clover will open up a Lee sizer about .0015 before they stop cutting. Just run them through one after another and put the one that pops out the top back on the pedestal. Three or four more coated with 600 grit will polish things up nice.

It's maybe a ten minute job when all you want is a thou or two bigger without being more precise than that. Takes longer if you stop, clean up, and measure several times to get an exact size.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a piece of 1/4" brass rod that has a slit hacksawed in the end. Put a piece of emory cloth in the slit, chuck the rod in a drill, and go to town with it. Add clover for good measure. Keep the emory moving back and forth, don't dwell in one spot, and the end result will be a die that is rounder and smoother than the original.

When you are done, give it a good scrubbing because residual abrasive in the die can cause very high friction, enough to get a bullet stuck in the die. Ask me how I know Roll Eyes .

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The method that works for me is to attach a 4" strip of abrasive cloth to a small dowel with tape then take a 4" strip of felt and wrap using the felt as backer. when the wrap is about the right diameter cut the abrasive cloth and felt, place some fine oil and use your hand or a drill to turn the dowel in the die, keep moving it in and out as you turn it. The felt can be adjusted to apply the right amount of pressure. Every once in a while mount the sizer in your press and send a couple of bullets through and mike the third third one through this will get all the crud out. When you are about .001 less than you want go to the very fine abrasive cloth. if you make a couple of these up yo can just adjust the felt to do different calibers. Hope this helps.

Ed Barrett
AKA elbStJoeMO

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jimmy Mac
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got plenty of adjustable laps. I call them "cull bullets". Three or four greased up with 320 grit Clover will open up a Lee sizer about .0015 before they stop cutting. Just run them through one after another and put the one that pops out the top back on the pedestal. Three or four more coated with 600 grit will polish things up nice.

Worked great for opening the sizer up .002.

Thanks much.

"We have met the enemy, and they are us." - Pogo