452 bullet molds 350 gr or larger
 Login/Join

posted
cant seem to find but a few any suggestions

Posts: 11 | Location: missouri | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I size down a Lyman 457643 Listed as a 400 gr bullet that drops .459 out of WW + 1% tin , to .453 all the time .

I lube the bullet with a .457 sizer and then run it thru a .454 sizer that should be labled .453

I then load these in my 45 colt TC barrel .
I have shot a few out of my Ruger SRH 454 , when loaded in 45 colt cases .
Never shot any groups , just plinked

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it would work for you or not, but Lyman still lists thier 451114 blackpowder mould that they list at 450 grains. Lymans 452651 pistol mold might work for you - but it's listed at 325 grains.

Posts: 80 | Location: West Central WI | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 454PB
posted Hide Post
I use the Lyman 452651 boolit in my .454's. It's an excellent boolit, and weighs 335 grains lubed and gas checked.

I've never tried sizing a boolit .006", but it sounds like it might distort it to the point that it might affect accuracy.

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Posts: 52 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You can always go the custom route. I've heard mountain molds isn't making molds at the moment, which is a pity because he makes great affordable molds. Ballisticast will run any of their cherries in deep to make an extra heavy bullet.

A softer bullet can be sized 0.006", but if it's cast hard, you can break the arm on your lube sizer, been there got the shirt. Also many "458" molds drop .459" or .460", so you'd be sizing down even more.

If I were to go for a heavy for caliber design, I'd use a WFN shape with the longest possible nose to keep as much of the bullet out of the case for max powder room and to keep the pressure down.

Really the better option for heavy bullets is a 475 or 500.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote