New
Find
Notify
Tools

FAVORITE CAST LOAD FOR .357/..38SPL
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
WHAT IS EVERYONES BEST LOAD FOR .357 OR .38SPL FOR TARGET OR HUNTING OR JUST FOR FUN? I USE BULLSEYE EXCLUSIVELY SO INFORMATION WITH THAT POWDER WILL BE APPRECIATED MOST. THANX IN ADVANCE

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL............

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Tasco
the bulk of my 357 shooting is done with 4.5 grains of Bullseye or 231 with a 140 grain cast Saeco SWC. Most any small pistol primer does fine.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have an old single cavity Lyman mold that drops a 160 grain plainbase flatnose. I use unique in varying charges to suit my needs. This bullet drops just large enough .360" that it shoots really well in my Victory Model .38 S&W.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2.8 gr Bullseye or AA #2 behind any 140-160 gr wadcutter, also a 356402 120 gr tc is a great paper puncher. 356156 and a warm charge of Herco or Unique gets most done. In my Ruger Blackhawk only: 16 gr H110 and a 180 gr FP LBT with lbt blue of FWFL for a heavy load. Gianni.

Posts: 65 | Location: Western MT | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.38 Special case, any lead bullet, 3 grains of 231 and any standard small pistol primer. Most excellent plinking/low cost fun.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
38 4.5 bullseye with the 105 lee swc

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
<powderfinger>
posted
When I shot PPC competitions, I used Star 148 gr. HBWC's with WW-231 powder. I did also test Bullseye powder with these bullets with good results, but I stuck with 231.

For $13 per 500 bullets it doesn't pay to cast your own. I do enjoy casting bullets, but when you go through 400 rounds a week its just easier to buy them.

Hope this isn't forbidden advice on the cast bullet forum. [Razz]

Larry

<Zeke>
posted
38 Special: 140gr Laser-Cast FN under 6.0 gr Alliant Power Pistol, 960fps from a 4-inch M-686.

357 Magnum: 180gr Laser-Cast FN under 9.3gr of Blue Dot, 1100fps from 4-inch M-686

ZM

one of us
posted Hide Post
38 Special: 146 grain H&G wadcutter with lube in only one groove on top of 3.1 grains of WW-231, Single hole 25 yard groups out of my Smith Model 52.

357 Magnum: 180 grain LBT WFNGC on top of 15.7 grains H110 and magnum primers...100 yard 4 inch groups out of my 686 with 2X scope off the bench.
Hits hard, very hard on Deer and pigs.

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powderfinger:

For $13 per 500 bullets it doesn't pay to cast your own. I do enjoy casting bullets, but when you go through 400 rounds a week its just easier to buy them.

Hope this isn't forbidden advice on the cast bullet forum. [Razz]

Larry

There's some truth in that if you have a steady source of good bullets at that price.

I shot PPC heavy, too, and found I could not depend on commercial cast bullets in my area. Stores would run out when I needed a batch. They'd also change suppliers and there are some really bad commercial bullets out there.

I was casting anyway, for other reasons, so I added Lee six cavity moulds in .38 and .32 WC. Running two ten pound pots into two six cavity moulds, you can cast a whole pile of bullets in one afternoon. They don't need sizing for my guns, so I cull, tumble lube, and let it go at that.

Now I never run out, never get bullets that lead, never have to run from store to store.

[ 03-30-2003, 17:02: Message edited by: Leftoverdj ]

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
2.8 grains of Winchester supper light behind a good 158 grain cast bullet. accurate and verry clean for light load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasco 74:
I USE BULLSEYE EXCLUSIVELY
THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL............

But why?

Bullseye is a fine powder for target or plinking loads, but it's really limited.

If you wanna stick with one powder, go to Unique. If heavy hunting loads are in the picture, add a can of 2400.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.357 - Ly 358156 over 9.0 HS-7.

.38 - 140ish WC over 3.0 Bullseye or 4.0-4.5 231 for a liitle more speed. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<powderfinger>
posted
Leftoverdj,

Fortunately for me the guy that ran the PPC matches shot the same bullet as I did and he also stocked the bullet in his gun shop. If he happened to run out, I would just order 2000 of them from Wideners to hold me over.

Now I just cast for my m/loader and sharps, with a few LBT's for the 44.

Larry

<Roundbutt>
posted
Bullseye is to dirty with light loads. It will form a crust on front of cyclinder and screw up double action triger pull.