New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: LEE SEZ NO NOSE PUNCHES......PER HBC PROJECT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do y'all think of a nose punch with a 30 degree included angle and a 1/8" clearance hole at the point. Could be used as-is or with a dab of epoxy added?

Tooling is available. Costs would be in the $4 range if included with the mould (only to ensure the quantity required to achieve the lowest cost). Material most likely CRS. Pieces would be CNC machined. I'd post the picture but Villiagephotos.com has cut us off for the momement on free hosting. Email me for a jpg of the print. covbldrs AT i-plus.net

My preference would be to have ONE design.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim: I'll sure go for it. floodgate

one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me. And a lot cheaper than the ~$12 for the other guys version.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Here's Tim's nosepunch drawing.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll take a nose punch. When? k2 in orygun

Posts: 33 | Location: the dalles, orygun | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Reckon I'll need one, too.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The clearance hole will mark the bullet unless cast very hard, epoxy fitted or lapped with an as cast bullet.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that someone of reasonably related personal experience with small caliber pointy boolits of ww softness and lyman type nose punches offer direct observations. I would not think large caliber soft boolit experience (of mine) would apply. I have had problems also with soft 257420 in a spitzer punch, although that's not quite the question here. Thanks, ned on the list for both

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is it possible that someone of reasonably related personal experience with small caliber pointy boolits of ww softness and lyman type nose punches offer direct observations. I would not think large caliber soft boolit experience (of mine) would apply. I have had problems also with soft 257420 in a spitzer punch, although that's not quite the question here. Thanks, ned on the list for both

Ned Tim in his posting said as much that some kind of fitting agent would be needed to make an exacting fit for the spitzer cavity. If your just lubing with an oversized die you could probably get around having to exactly fit one but any degree of resistance between the punch and the bullet will make the bullet ogive either form or stick to the punch.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
If someone is makeing them, then I'll take 2 with the mold.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<ben.>
posted
COUNT ME IN FOR ONE TOP PUNCH. BEN.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a lube/sizer, but I guess I'd better get a nose punch

to go with the mold anyway. A lot more economical to do it now than

try to custom order one in a year or two.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a nose first, so I don't need a nose punch.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The clearance hole will mark the bullet unless cast very hard, epoxy fitted or lapped with an as cast bullet.

I partially agree. The ring of contact is down a ways on the bullet - that would leave a conical ring of contact mark. The design issue with making a nose punch, as most of y'all are probably aware, is the cost of a special tool to cut the form. The alternatives are to cut a large pocket which the user could fill with (fill in your choice of epoxy, JB weld, hot-melt glue or whatever) or to come as close as possible using standard tooling, in this case a standard 1/8" bit and a 30 degree included milling cutter.

By coming this close, lapping it wouldn't take much and would provide a broader support for the boolet.

Thanks one and all for your comments, they've shed a lot of light on the subject.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote