THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody sized .358" bullets down to .355"?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
As I just aquired a 9mm pistol, and have a pile of 35 caliber molds, I was wondering how will it works to run the slightly larger bullets through a .355" sizer? Boolets will be air cooled ww's. In paticular I'm curious about running a lee 158 rf through the 9. Since I'll be getting a .355 sizer, I guess nothing ventured nothing gained.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul you won't have any trouble sizing down .003" with lyman 450/4500, rcbs or saeco sizers. If you are using a push thru sizer .015 is easily doable with a harder alloy than that, I size 14-15 bhn .325 250 grainers lubed and checked in the Lyman4500, then down to .313 in the Lee PT sizer and shoot them in MN91/30, they are just as accurate as ones cast at .313/.314. I do doubt that you need to size to .355 for a 9mm though, I would see if a loaded round w/.358 bullet would chamber, most 9's I've seen were most accurate with .357 cast bullets. .02

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't assume that your 9mm has a .355 diameter bore.I have a baretta 92fs that came with a .357 bore diameter measurement, Cast boolits in that pistol dictated that I scrub out the leading about once every 20 shots. Bought some cheep remington 357 dis 125gr soft points. Worked up a safe powder charge and shot these in our local steel plate matches.No more scrubbing out the lead and much better accuracy. When I queried baretta about this I was told those barrel dimensions they told me that those numbers fell well within the accuracy specs.Regards Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul,

I have sized the Lee 175 grain .323" 8mm bullet down to .314 and shot it in my 7.62 Mosin Nagant.

The trick was to have some lube in the grooves first and then the grooves won't smear.

Like swheeler already pointed out, .003 will be no problem.

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul; you can always post size a loaded round too, load a .358 bullet-measure outside loaded dia/pick a spot on round below the mouth, if it won't chamber all the way remove your decapper pin, unscrew you sizer die part way and keep sizing/ adjusting down until the round will chamber freely. After you get it to fit correctly measure the same spot on the round for OD, the difference will tell you how much smaller the bullet needs to be, buy your sizer die. You will find brass is quite different in wall thickness, Remington usually the thinest and will be able toi take the largest dia bullet. good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem ... but do check the bore diameter of the 9mm. I'd not go smaller than 0.001" larger than bore diameter.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I would recommend using a .356" sizer for lead in 9mm.

Better accuracy than .355" lead in most 9mm loadings.

And shaving .002" off a .358" cast won't hurt a thing.

Taper crimp to about .3785" at leading edge of loaded case.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have sized the Lee 175 grain .323" 8mm bullet down to .314 and shot it in my 7.62 Mosin Nagant.
Newtire, do the un-resized .323 bullets not fit the Nagant?

I have been experimenting with taper cast bullets to get them to be as snug as possible in my rifle's throat. (It has a .304 bore and .314 groove). The base Ø of those bullets are .318 and the nose is .304. The bullet tapers to .314 before mid-length - it is a long bullet. Would this taper bullet principle work in the pistol in question? The problem is that the tapered bullet cannot be lubri-sized, but if one were to lubri-size a .358 bullet, then swage it in a taper die in the lubri-sizer, it might work. These would be custom dies but altogether do-able.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
303; newtire is talking about sizing down cast 8mm for use in the 7.62x54R MN rifles, same as I do with a 250 grain 8mm cast bullet.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
... newtire is talking about sizing down cast 8mm for use in the 7.62x54R MN rifles, ...
Yes, I understood that. The 7.62x54R has the same bore dimensions as the 303 Lee Enfield. I was wondering just how large the throat was. My rifle's throat is just too small to accept a .323 bullet - hence the taper, but it does have a healthy throat chamfer which allows .318 based bullets to be fired without leaving any lead behind. I have heard of 8mm bullets being fired in a Lee Enfield but those were jacketed and the test was for pressure, not accuracy.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure as to what the question was about sizing down the .323 (actually (.325 as cast) Lee bullets. Only just that i don't have a mould that is suitable for the .312(+) bore of the Nagant and this resizing of the Lee 175 grain intended for the 8mm Mauser fills that bill. This bullet is not a real long one to begin with so it works without bending the bullet. Also the nose is fairly short and tapered so there are no throat issues as there was with a longer "Karabiner" bullet I tried doing this to. (This was a custom run from Lee sold thru Midsouth).

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found all this sizing down stuff very over rated. If you look at the sizer dies of yesteryear they didn't have the gentle leade in taper and actually did shave the bullet and off center many times too. I've found with modern sizer today I can size down some bullets drastically to fit other calibers and they shot good. I've also found that shooting unsized bullets didn't improve the accuracy in many of my firearms, so I'm not totally sold on that either.

Slug the groove diameter of your 9mm and size one or two thou over. I have a match 9mm barrel in my 1911 and I can't fit a bullet that is of much too large diameter. My groove on that barrel is .3534 and let me tell you that it shoots exceptionally well with cast. It's also the only 9mm barrel that I have that I have to trim the case length for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive fooled with quite a few 9mm handguns and rifles and have yet to see one that shot better with bullets smaller then .357. 358 is even better if your gun will chamber them.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Smale:
Ive fooled with quite a few 9mm handguns and rifles and have yet to see one that shot better with bullets smaller then .357. 358 is even better if your gun will chamber them.

exactly thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Smale:

exactly thumb

Exactly. I have three handguns in 9MM and all have barrels with groove diameters of .356 to .357". I size all my cast bullets to .358" and accuracy is fine and leading is nil.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do doubt that you need to size to .355 for a 9mm though, I would see if a loaded round w/.358 bullet would chamber, most 9's I've seen were most accurate with .357 cast bullets. .02

Both P89 and P85 I've slugged were right at .356+ and would freely chamber a .358 bullet as long as it was in R-P brass, other brass used .357 both shot fine. Still waiting for a range report from the guy who started this thread-Paul H????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't assume that your 9mm has a .355 diameter bore.

I was going to say exactly the same thing! CZ-75s were notorious for this. I found that the BEST reloading dies for 9mm Luger (as you call it I understand) were RCBS. Because the dies left a sort of a "cup" when resizing the case that stopped the bullets from being pushed back when cycling into the case. This meant that all that was needed was a taper crimp to give proper headsapce on the mouth.

But I would caution very much against using a 158 weight in a 9mm. Especiallly as the bullet will be "revolver" style I think with a short nose and long bearing surface.

There will be very little room left in the case and your pressure curve to get a velocity that works the slide will be very steep. It is NOT a recipe or mix I would advise. 125 grain MAXIMUM "pistol" style with a long nose and short bearing surface!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
quote:
Don't assume that your 9mm has a .355 diameter bore.

I was going to say exactly the same thing! CZ-75s were notorious for this. I found that the BEST reloading dies for 9mm Luger (as you call it I understand) were RCBS. Because the dies left a sort of a "cup" when resizing the case that stopped the bullets from being pushed back when cycling into the case. This meant that all that was needed was a taper crimp to give proper headsapce on the mouth.

But I would caution very much against using a 158 weight in a 9mm. Especiallly as the bullet will be "revolver" style I think with a short nose and long bearing surface.

There will be very little room left in the case and your pressure curve to get a velocity that works the slide will be very steep. It is NOT a recipe or mix I would advise. 125 grain MAXIMUM "pistol" style with a long nose and short bearing surface!

Wrong on the shooting the 158 grains in 9mm's. Shoot them all the time with not dangerous high pressures and the slides cycle perfectly. Know a lot of reloaders shoot 255 grain and higher revolver style bullets in the 45acp with equally good results. It's true there isn't as much powder space, you just have to select the correct type of powder and work up.