New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which mould, Lyman or RCBS?
 Login/Join

<Carroll B>
posted
Plan to cast for my .44 mag Ruger SRH that I will punch holes in paper and plink steel targets with. I'm looking at buying either the Lyman mould #2660421 or the RCBS #82042. I want something close to 240 grains and a SWC design. The RBCS double cavity w/handle cost about $10 more then the double cavity Lyman w/handle. Is one better then the other? All of my reloading equipment is RCBS and I can't say enough about their great customer service. I've never delt with Lyman so I don't have anything to compare with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS mold blocks are generally superior to the Lyman. The added cost is nothing in the long run.

Good thing to check out if possible is the as cast dia the manufacturers say their molds will produce-- and with what specified alloy. Revolvers need a bullet to fit the cylinder throats and the only critique I'd offer of RCBS molds is they tend to cast undersized for the alloy [ww] that I use.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
if your going to invest your time and money [Smile] I would buy a 4 cavitey mold from Ballisti-cast they own the old H&G line of molds and they make them just as good as Mr. Wayne Gibbs. I don`t like the work in casting bullets [Frown] , but if I want to shoot alot I have to do it. at this time I have about 25 molds from H&G and Ballisti-cast and about the same from LBT, and NIE. Frank

Posts: 5 | Location: Grand Rapids Mi. | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second Aladin on the comment about small bullets with ww using RCBS molds. I generally have had really good results with their 240 Gr SWCGC mold using ww and lino. Glad to see someone else has had this problem and it isn't just me. The RCBS molds I have don't want to release bullets as easily as some of the other molds I have. You might also want to try Saeco molds. I really like their stuff and they have some good designs.

Beau

Posts: 41 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go along with fivegunner on this one. IMO, NEI and LBT (stronger with LBT) make some of the best moulds out there. And if you're going to invest the money and time, might as well do it right. Now that V.S. is back in business, you will find that LBT can give you any some of the best shooting cast bullets you can get your hands on. That's why there are several mould makers out there that have incorporated his bullet designs in their inventory.

HBL

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carroll B, I have 2 RCBS molds, many Lymans, maybe a half doz. LBT's, some Thompson/Centers and a few Lees. I can't see much difference in quality between the RCBS's and the Lyman's with respect to workmanship or results. And mine don't cast undersized bullets with WW + 1% Sn. Also, the new production (after 6/02) Lyman molds are of excellent quality. Having said this, I have to agree that RCBS's guarantee is definitely a selling point. One additional thought: Look for the mold (Lyman and/or RCBS) on E-Bay, but only if a photo of same is provided. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta vote with fivegunner ... get an H&G #45 mold which is a 240 grain Keith.

The H&G molds are easy to use. All the cavities deliver consistent slugs. The molds are beautifully made.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You folks buy all the high dollar moulds you want, for pistol bullets I'm sticking with Lee six cavities.

Rifle bullets are a different story. For those, I want the best single cavity mould I can find. For pistol bullets for informal shooting, I want a lot of bullets easily and cheaply. Long as they will group 2.5 inches at 25 yards, they are good rnough for my purposes. Lee six cavities do that just fine and they cost a fraction of a name brand four cavity.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carroll B....Some good suggestions here. I find that almost all of the RCBS moulds cast pretty close to stated as cast diameter and that's minimum for the 44 Mag. About 80% of the Lyman moulds cast undersize and I have one or two. H & Gs will also cast about like the RCBS moulds....right at minimum dimensions. Now, all these are cast soft......WWs cut with some tin.

You'll have to look some and may have to try a mould or two but the old Ideal DC 429421 is my favorite mould and will usually cast big enough for the 44 Mags. If you find a square groove, it will cast a little hard as the bullets don't drop out easy on account of the design. It will cast .431-433 and the front band will be a full diameter like old Elmer intended it to be. That's my favorite and shoots best for me. MHO./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Carroll I also use the lee 6 cavitey molds they work great, and put out a lot of bullets fast! and I still have a bunch of RCBS molds they are well built. on the lees I figuer I`ll get 2-3 thousand bullets out of the molds before they ware out, thats alot of bullets for a $32.00 6 cavity mold. by all means get what you want and have fun [Smile] . check out ebay for molds might get a nice one at a good price. hope this helps. Frank

Posts: 5 | Location: Grand Rapids Mi. | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Beagle on this one. I have a 4 cavity #429421 and it's just the ticket for all my .44 revolvers! Everything else is just too small, less than .432 doesn't work in most Rugers.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fivegunner:
on the lees I figuer I`ll get 2-3 thousand bullets out of the molds before they ware out, thats alot of bullets for a $32.00 6 cavity mold. by all means get what you want and have fun [Smile] . check out ebay for molds might get a nice one at a good price. hope this helps. Frank

You ain't gonna wear a Lee six cavity out in no 3000 bullets. I was shooting 5-10,000 rounds a year shooting PPC when I bought one in .38 DEWC. Kept shooting PPC a couple of years after that and the mould is still going strong. A thousand .38 WC ain't but 25 pounds and I know I put a couple of buckets of WW through mine SO FAR.

[ 05-29-2003, 18:01: Message edited by: Leftoverdj ]

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote