New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .35 cal. 200 gr. mould project?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
45 I think Glenn's got a good balanced slug for a pistol-- which I think was his intent [?] .050" lube grooves wouldn't hurt anything though and knowing the depth of those grooves would help.

Turning a bullet to 2200 with success sez more about the lube Q and how good the barrel is too, sans leading.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Yep, a bigger lube groove and more towards the base, or several the same size equally distributed. If the same size, it would be novel to make each lube groove a bonifide "V" shape, rather than a "U" shape with either a customary round or flat bottom. Something different should be sought, just for grins. The gun won't notice, I don't think. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
aladin-
If I designed the lube groove, I would make it .08" long and .015" deep. At the speed 180's are capable of in 357 mag, the gas check just costs more with little pratical difference. I am not saying to get rid of the check, it has advantages in rifle and 357 herret/maximum loads. Accuracy, I shoot 180's in 357 Mag and 35 Rem at 1200-1500 fps with 1 to 1.5 MOA with plain base bullets. The gas check will allow 2200 fps in the 35 Rem. One point about the as cast size: the LBT type nose is difficult to size evenly in Lyman/Rcbs sizers if it is to much oversize. The nose will size unevenly if not dead in line. I have several molds like this and have to size in a two stage method to get even sizing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You make some good pts 45. I didn't mean a-tall to imply you were NOT saying this was a good de-sign.

Methinks lots of peeee-stol shooten's use checks [?]. Plenty of bullets out there have the shank, methinks to add a measure of accuracy and ?

How big do you think the grooves should be? Does .050 linearly do it and how deep?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
The LBT 180's that were sent to me have 2 small lube grooves. .050"x .334" so that would be about .0125" deep. Would this make it more suitable for rifle use? If this would make it better for rifles and not hurt it for pistols then I'm game.

do you have dimensions for the two bullets you had links to?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in a mould what ever the group agrees upon>>>>Don