New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Moly Coating Cast Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ricochet, I don't remember what Mouse said his bbl twist was. I can't imagine it could have been as tight as 9.5, though -- each shot would just produce a gray puff in front of the muzzle as the boolit came apart, I'd think. <GGG>

But then, Mouse was always pushing the boundries with people AND with his play-toys. <GGG>

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Hey grumble, if that 7mm Mag had the same 9 1/2" twist as my M70, those bullets were really spinning!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may have been discussed before, but has anyone ever used Moly to lube cast bullets and if so how did it work? Also, did you use any other lube after moly coatiing. I was thinking about trying it on some 405 grain 45-70 bullets (smokeless powder only).

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moly works. The main drawback is that it doesn't have as good of gas-sealing properties as conventional lubes.

A poster on the old Shooter's board, Mouse, pushed some moly-lubed cast boolits from a 7mm Mag at over 3000 fps without leading. Accuracy was terrible, but they didn't lead! Boolit fit is critical, though.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We ran several moly threads on the now defunct Shooters Cast forum a few yrs ago. Archives are here. Cast Shooters Archives You will have to dig some-- I think those threads were spring of 02 [?].

Works ok-- I think lubing by conventional means is easier and less trouble.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Orygun,

I presume from your comment that your accuracy was poor enough to not pursue the issue (I still have some spray moly I haven't used)? Thanks!

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote