THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Who would like a Lyman 452423 mold ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

The simpler route would be to beg a few bullets off one of the people with that mould and put the specs into Dan's design your own program. www.mountainmolds.com Dan will make you a mould to your specs very reasonably.

leftoverdj,
I have one of Dan's 2 cavity molds, and it is indeed a fine mold and reasonably priced. However, for the price of a single cavity Mountain mold, you can get a 6 cavity Lee. If we had enough interest for a group purchase, I would buy 2 molds and in a few hours casting, I could produce enough bullets to last all year. If not, then I will have to find an alternative, and no matter what, it will be either more expensive or slower production, or both.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neal, I wish you luck. A group buy is a tougher project than it looks going in. The recent big price increase has taken a lot of the incentive out of it.

The simpler route would be to beg a few bullets off one of the people with that mould and put the specs into Dan's design your own program. www.mountainmolds.com Dan will make you a mould to your specs very reasonably.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Neal
The very first mold I ever owned was a 452423. I was looking for an alternative to jacketed bullets for my 45 Colt. That mold produced some of the best bullets I've ever shot. The lead was from what ever source I could scrounge up. Lead was lead and it all shot well.
Being a single cavity mold it sure took a while to produce an afternoons worth of bullets.
I've still got that mold some where down in the loading shed. If I could get a 4 cavity mold in this pattern I'd buy it.Preferably not Lee.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neal..I am the author of the article in your Sixgunner link and still think this bullet is truly great. The article was first published in The Fouling Shot. Hensley and Gibbs produced moulds for the same bullet and there is an outfit who produces this line of moulds today. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the outfit, but when I looked at their offerings several years back, they had this bullet in their line up. Their moulds seemed to me to be quite expensive, but I understand their quality is very high.

I agree with others that Dan at Mountain moulds could make you a clone or something very, very close. You will have to enter the specs in his online design program. If you want, to send me an email and I will mail you a couple of bullets from the original Ideal mould so you can measure them for your specs. If you don't have a pair of calipers and a micrometer, I could do the measurments for you and enter them in Dan program and send you a hard copy of what it looks like with the specs. Let me know.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote