Find
Notify
Tools

Hey, Sundog!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OOOH! AAAAAAAH! Pretty!

Test to follow, hopefully in the next few days. What mold was it again? These look like a great design.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waksupi, have I ever mentioned that I like RCBS moulds? Prolly not. Those are 35-200-FN. They kinda look alot like the 32-170-FN that shoots so well in the .32 Win Spl. I loaded some of these 35s just last evening - 35.0 IMR 3031, in new Win cases. Will shoot some today or tomorrow at a hunert with a scoped Marlin 336CS and we'll compare notes. This load shoots VERY well at 50. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waksupi, I have your boolits boxed up and ready to mail tomorrow. There are about a hundred of the Lyman 215 gr. SWCs and around fifty 358009s that Shuz sent me a few years ago. They won't feed in my 356 but might do well in your 358. Tony

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent, gentlemen. These should fill in the cracks and holes I've had in experimenting with the .358. My gratitude is immense. I know what I can expect with the Lee customs, and after experimenting with these, I will find a mold for the best, or have one made. Sundog, I will try to get some loaded today and try these out.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, let us see.... Just how many boolits you got comin'??? Almost looks like you weren't planning on doin' ANY casting. Hmmmm? {BSEG}

I shot mine today at a hunert. It was too wet to mow early, soooo, off to the range for a few minutes with a stop at the local gas up for some disel for the tractor on the way back. Anyway, how about ten rounds, minute of pop can at ahunert? She's a keeper. Had vertical stringing. Shot good.

Felix, this is an excellent 'riva' load! sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I figure if I get enough bullets mailed in, I won't have to cast for a few years. When someone offers more of a different design, I will definitely give them a try!

I did try these RCBS 35-200FN's out today. I tried 41 gr. of 3031 first off. Five were fairly friendly to each other, and five wandered off considerably. These were cruising out at about 2269 fps, which is right around my velocity goal. Vertical stringing was the problem, left anf right were good.

I next dropped down to 40 gr. 3031. These still showed vertical stringing, but not quite as bad. 2180 was the average with this load.

Third try was 40 gr. again, and I seated the bullet out to where the lubed grooves were just
covered. These went into 5 inches, and the velocity was around 2100 fps with little deviation or extreme spread. for some reason I lost the info on the Chrony on this one.

I suspect I won't have the results I'm seeking with this bullet, as it is a fair piece from the lands yet when seated out in this manner. I will try some seated out all the way to engage, but this will definitely leave exposed lube grooves, one thing I would like to avoid for hunting purposes.

I will be trying some WC860 with a kicker on these. I will expect around 2000 fps with this weight bullet.

Stay tuned!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many of you are helping Waksupi avoid casting and just don't know it. I am sending him some of my Lyman 215 gr. SWCs, but didn't have a full hundred 'cause I had just loaded some. I remembered the box of the same design Orygun Mark sent me, and included them as well. Ten of the boolits he sent was all I needed to know I wanted that mold, and there are forty left. Shuz sent me some 35809's a couple years ago, and since they won't feed in my 356 I pitched them in the box. Another Shooter's poster sent me some RCBS 35-250 boolits from a semi-custom RCBS mold - they are in two different alloys but wouldn't feed either, so I tossed them in. Who was that masked man? I can't remember, but those were some pretty boolits! He also sent several samples of several 30 caliber designs. By my count there are three people sending stuff to Ric when I get the box in the mail tomorrow. Tony

[ 09-08-2003, 05:33: Message edited by: AnthonyB ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, now this what I call gettin' thangs done! Even had the SIL come over this evening. I said, "Hey, I got something you just gotta try." At 50 he put two in the X-ring and two more north and south. He said he pulled them, and maybe so. More vertical stringing. He agreed though that this would be a deer gettin' son-of-a-gun down in the brush, maybe even out to 200 if'n a feller was to practice with it a bit. Let the grandson shoot it and SIL said, "how much?" Ain't fer sale or fer givin', son, but I'll be lookin' fer another fer the lad, if that's okay. GS stood there with a s---eatin' grin ALL over his face. Some days are diamonds.... sundog

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like casting bullets. I just don't like buying molds that won't suit my needs. So I'm a beggar. I should get a cardboard sign, and set up at the entrance to Wallyworld.

"Will shoot for food"

Sundog, do you know what velocity range you are working in?

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Yeah, guys, that riva' shootin' is at about a 100 or so allright. Those verticals you guys are gettin' could mean you need a little more ignition, say maybe a notch faster powder speed if some is readily available. It seems 3031 should be fast enough, though, but if there is some OLD RL7 around, try some of that at about 2 grains less. The new RL7 might be too fast, so be careful. H322 would work too if no OLD RL7 is around. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Felix. I'll go through my powder repetoire, and see what I have a tad bit speedier.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Waksupi, roughly 2000 fps 35-200-FN and 35.0 IMR 3031. sundog

posted Hide Post
My Model 141 likes 38.0 gr 4895, and is happy with WC844 as well at about the same load in grains. Velocity is in the 2100 fps range. I can go look up the specifics of both loads if you need it. I have gone up to 39 gr 4895, but the 38 gr load shoots better and is obviously a bit lower pressure wise. Cases all look OK, size OK and last OK so the load is obviously a safe one, at least in my rifle. My 35-200 casts right at 212 grs ready to load. [Cool] Pilgrim

Posts: 12 | Location: Wash. State | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pilgrim - I've also had good luck with 4895 in that same load range. What I have settled on for a hunting load, barring anything else coming down the pike to sing a siren song, is 41 gr. Not the most accurate, only shoots into about 2 1/2" at a hundred, but plenty good for hunting purposes around here. I seem to recall, without digging out my load book, that velocity was right around 2269 fps average. That gives me a good effective range of about 225 yards point blank. It's darn seldom I ever shoot at anything that far away, but you never know. The 38-39 gr. range will put them into an inch if I'm doing my part.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Waksupi. An envelope arrived that I was not expecting. Thanks. I think I'll just put the whole thing in castpics. Any gripes with that? I sure am growing fond of theat 35 Rem. A little more time will tell. Think I'll have to yry some 4895. sundog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go ahead on.