Find
Notify
Tools

need a 350 sizer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy.
Im wanting to paper-patch some .358" which IIRC means a .350" sizer.
Anyone know where to find one?
And if not, would a .348" get me into trouble? (My first go at P-Ping.
These are gas checked, BTW.
Thanks for the help.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is easy buy the next smaller Lee sizing die ream or polish it out to the size you want cheap works well. Right now I am planing to do this with 429 pistol bullets to 416. to get cheap blasting bullets for my 416 Taylor. I have use this to make odd dia. bullets before works well.

Posts: 19421 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Howdy.
Im wanting to paper-patch some .358" which IIRC means a .350" sizer.
Anyone know where to find one?
And if not, would a .348" get me into trouble? (My first go at P-Ping.
These are gas checked, BTW.
Thanks for the help.

Your next step down for a Lee push thru is 329-- and that's pushing the limits of lapping a die out. Thing is though with the Lee-- it has only a small collar like area that actually is that size. Yet going .021" would require alot of material coming out-- tough to do and still keep the hole round.

I believe a 348 die would serve you well given alloys that obturate readily. And if it's too small applying a lap agent to bullets and cycling them removes that metal easily. Just be sure to monitor you process closely using coarse laps in the 240 range-- polishing that surface well before you get to the 350 mark. Polishing accomplished by a same method using of coarse fine laps like auto chromo polish or JB bore paste.

Lee makes custom sizers BTW at $25 a pop. I believe Lyman/RCBS makes the H&I dies for a 348 Winchester.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a .351 from Lyman a few years ago. They probably still make it. If not let me know as I am slowly replacing my Lyman stuff with Star dies/sizer.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll check with Lee and Lyman both. Don't really want to work all that hard. (Have other things making me work hard already!)
CGB, might take you up on that. How much?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get a new .349 from Midway for 30$, I would take 15$+ whatever it would cost to ship. I will be putting a bunch of dies on e-bay shortly, along with another 450 sizer. After I bought my new Star sizer I see there are now 3 on e-bay. The last on on there went for over list!
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Twist my arm.
PM sent.