New
Find
Notify
Tools

FS: Star lubricator/sizer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When Star Machine Works made lubricator/sizers they actually offered two models. One had a lubricant reservoir about twice the normal size.

When Magma bought the Star L/S, I asked them if they would make this larger reservoir model. They made one, which I have. For some unknown reason, however, they didn't make many. No idea why.

This machine, like all the early Magma L/S, has the tradition blue Star paint job. Also it had a reservoir that's about twice the normal size. Some with two handles, the normal one and the one that more like a shovel handle. NO DIES. $175 shipped.

Not new but in very good condition. These large reservoir models, incidentally, were considerably more expensive than the usual Star.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you send me a picture? I might be interested but would like to see a picture. Can you tell me what size of lube sticks it uses?

Thanks Wes

Posts: 60 | Location: texas | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish I could send you a picture but my digital camera is so old that the software doesn't work.

This is just a normal Star lubricator but with a reservoir that is twice the normal height. Of course the screw that applies pressure to the top of the lube is also twice normal length.

Magma's lubricants are solid sticks of hard wax. I've used those. What this machine is now full of, however, is Lyman's blackpowder gold. Those aren't solid sticks. They have a hole down the middle because Lyman's lubricant needs that. Once compressed in this machine, however, that hole goes away.

I switched to Lyman's blackpowder gold because it keeps splatter on my revolvers soft. Typically I'll put 4000+ rounds through a revolver per year. With any other kind of lubricant, the very minor amount of splatter from a round will build up over time so that at the end of a year you literally have to pound this stuff off with a hammer and screw driver. I started wondering if blackpowder lubricant might avoid this by keeping this splatter soft. It does. Even if you don't clean your revolver for months of daily shooting, the crude just wipes off. Unfortunately I filled the reservoir on this machine before putting it away. So it is full of this. Of course you could get it out with a little heat but I'm lazy. Besides if I don't sell it this is the lubricant I want in it.

Buy if. If you don't like it you can just send it back for a refund.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A thousand apologies to intrude on your thread...I just wanted to wish Wes a Merry Xmas!

I have a Star luber...I like it a lot! Makes a lot of bullets in a short time.

Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Dale how have you been and merry christmas to you. I have been working on the mexican border for nearly 3 months with only 8 days off in the 3 months so haven't been on the computer much. Good to hear from you. Hope you have a happy new year.......Wes

one of us
posted Hide Post
KLW I once made a lengthed res. for a star but let it get away from me somehow. I will think about this and try to get back to you if a few days. I am leaving at 4:00 am to go back to work on the mexican border. If I decide to buy this I will get to a computer somehow and get back to you.
Thanks Wes