New
Find
Notify
Tools

An observation on sizing pistol bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been using the 200 grain Lee tumble lube semiwadcutter in my 45 acp - unsized and lubed with liquid alox. The bullets measured .454-.455". When I really tried I could shoot tennis ball-sized groups offhand with these bullets in our 50 foot indoor range.
Not wanting to leave well enough alone, I bought a .452 die for my lubrisizer and ran some bullets through using Lyman moly. I did have to seat these bullets a hair deeper to cover the top lube groove.
I could see no difference in accuracy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Takes a big change in accuracy level to show up in offhand pistol shooting for most of us.

The results from a machine rest might be interesting, but as long as your bullets are shooting accurately enough for you, why bother?

I'm not fussy about pistol bullets. Most differences in accuracy are going to be covered up in my errors, anyway. I do dig out an old Lee pistol rest when I am having problems, but mostly I lube and size as is convenient.

Cast bullets in rifles are a different story. Even small differences show up there.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll use the method that is the least work.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Max503:
I'll use the method that is the least work.

A caster after my own heart [Big Grin]

I have seen differences in accuracy from changing lubes, but only in an accurate revolver scoped off the bench. I've also shot my best group ever with unsized lee liquid alox lubed bullets, 3 shots grouping 1 1/2" at 100 yds, I was afraid to shoot the last two as I knew they'd open up the group [Wink]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
-------I could see no difference in accuracy.---------

There are 2 schools of thought here:

1. What Mr. Dillon once said, (the Dillon reloading guy), "If you miss, there are still 249 more rounds in the belt".

2. What a buddy told me once, "Hey, if you miss, that means you get to shoot again".

Honestly,
For what you're doing, its hard to go wrong.
If it was me, I'd use which ever process let you load more rounds in the time you have to spend on it,
and which ever one allowed you more time shooting, and less time pumping a press handle.

Something I used todto in years past was load un-lubed, and un-sized bullets in all my pistol and revolver loads.

I know it sounds bad.

But what I'd do at the range, was to spray the noses of the bullets in a loaded magazine, or the face of a loaded revolver cylinder
with a aerosol can of motorcycle chain lube.

It was fast, the accuracy wan't bad, and the mess wiped off with a rag.

The lube did a good job, and I figured the first 1/8" or so of the barrel would size
the bullet fairly well.

It worked well.

For Christmas one year, I got a Lubri-sizer, so nowdays I size & lube in a more PC manner.
And, I can't tell much difference in accuracy, but it sure is slower.

[ 06-18-2003, 10:09: Message edited by: Winger Ed ]

Posts: 18 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 17 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Max503,Best accuracy is obtained when the bullet is just over bore dia. by about .0005" to .001" and when sizing down less then .001" in the die from cast dia.. The most important factor, weight the bullets, this gets rid of the ones with air pockets. At 50 yards a good 45 acp will shoot 3" groups or smaller.Lyman mould/bullet no. 452630 , a 200 gr bevel base is the best cast bullet i have found after trying many others.Hope this helps. 243winxb

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote