New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheel weight types
 Login/Join

posted
Grumble
AL-AW-ENS and ect.numbers on wheel weights are application no,s. Oz.and Grams are international marketing.
The shinny(plastic looking) ones are coated to protect corrosion on mag.rims.The chrome plated ones are for show.
PB.is about twice as heavy as Zn. and Zn. melts at 788 deg.that is the reason for the 650. degree temp.I have not had a problem holding the temperature down with a Fish
Fryer and cast iron ovens but I am over the hill and time is not important.Some foreign countries have outlawed lead ww,s but unless things have changed the wheels are balanced after they get to this country. What are your chances of getting a wheel weight made in Germany in a 5 gal bucket of used weights not much.
Be Carefull Dye
All right Guys jump on and tell Me I am full of SH##

Posts: 3 | Location: nev | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds logical to me. I've never had zinc contamination..YET. But I do similar, skimming at first melt and then heating and fluxing. What little Zn there is must be skimmed off...?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, Dye, many thanks.

The idea of getting a zinc WW in a batch doesn't exactly keep me up nights with worry, but I know I'd be pretty irritated if I did end up contaminating a 150 lb batch. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm the guy it WOULD happen to! <GGG> Hence, my question about a "quick and dirty" way to identify the nasty li'l buggers.

Ricochet's idea of using a drop of H2SO4 sounds pretty good to me. I think I'll pick up an eyedropper next trip to town.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote