New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee six cavity mold reapir
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well - I loaned out a custom Lee six cavity mold to a friend and he used it to cast a couple thousand bullets but when I got it back there was a very noticable gap between the blocks. The feller I loaned it too csts bullets bay hand for sale and probably works'em pretty hard running a few molds at a time. At first I though maybe he warped them but upon further inspection it looks like he did not lube the pins if at all and the sleeves and pins have pulled out not allowing the molds to close well. There is some visable wear on the sleeves as well.

Are these sleeves just pressed in and can I just take a punch and set them back into the mold again??

BTW - it was not the BD45 mold I just got - that ones not goin anywhere - lesson learned

Posts: 25 | Location: Lowell, IN | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WCC, yep, they just press in. It might be a good idea to put a drop of Loc-Tite on the bushing before you press it back in. And, if the lack of lube has scored the alignment pin, it might be a good idea to smooth the surface of the pin with some 600 or finer sandpaper so it will close more easily.

No serious harm done.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Grumble - I figured they just pressed in there but wouldn;t lock-tite let loose when the molds get hot. That's how I have always heard you undo a bolt thats been locktited - ya heat it up

West Creek

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had some thread lock that was supposed to be good to 950 degrees. If you get the mold hotter than that you making iron bullets. <G>

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are dozens of types of Loc-Tite. Use the hi-temp stuff (red?). The application info is written on the bottle.

On one of my molds, I used an exacto knife to make a score around the outside of the bushing, and that seemed to work, too. Probably not needed if the mold is properly lubed, but sometimes I forget... (doh). <GGG>

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I can certainly understand your situation. I lent a friend (used to be friend) my 6 cavity H&G 68 mold when I got it back it was real clean he had used a wire wheel on the inside. Needless to say it was ruined and I will never lend a mold again. [Mad]

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Grumble

Yep - I'll do that - use red locktite that is and check on the bottle.

I aint much of a mechancial person so I aint got much experience takin apart locktied stuff. Had enough of that mess tryin ta keep my trucks runnin whilst I was in colledge - now I save my time fer more important stuff like makin bullets. HEHEHEHE

lets see here in the last year gitten started up castin

Lead wheel weights $4 cases of beer
Cooker furnace $15
Iron pot $10
4 molds $160
Bottompour pot $60
Lube $20 + $30
Luber and dies $300
Total Spent $650

Net result sofar
$18 worth of bd45 bullets
$42 worth of Pigeionroost slim bullets
$40 worth of muzzloader balls and conicals
$100 worth of bullets - and it took me 16 hours to do it all - oops 20 hours if ya include the time I spent melten wheel weights into ingots about 500 pounds of'em - hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Oops lets not ferget the 200 hours sitten here readin posts and such
Aint castin fun - glad I'm savin money on home made bullets - hehehehehehe

Shore makes it all worth it when I send them little boogers down range knowin I done made it all happen

West Creek Charlie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie, take yer pick -- obsession -- hobby. Either way, we all know it pays fer itself.... Right? sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See there, Charlie? Didn't we tell you it was a money-saving venture to cast your own? <GGG>

Reminds me of a thing I saw years ago about the economics of heating with wood. Went like your list:

New woodstove $600
Carpenter to install chimney $800
Inspector to inspect chimney $50
Carpenter to correct chimny installation $1000
Chainsaw $200
gas oil $10
electric chain sharpener $150
replacement chain $50
pickup to haul wood $3000
new back window for pickup $400

And so on. Lots of logic to heating with wood and casting your own. <GGG>

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumble, you bothered to get a new back window??? I opted instead for taking that and little bit more ($$$) and get a wood splitter.... HAR! sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote