Find
Notify
Tools

wheelweights?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents
I have came across some scrap lead with both stick-on and colored wheelweights.
I intend to melt it & cast some bullets for a coming .475 linebaugh.

How do I proceed to get rid of the color and the adhesive?
Peel/scrape it off or just melt it and hope for the best?

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Make sure that they are lead alloy. I throw all the weights into the pot and melt them, the paint and adhesive will burn off.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just recently ran across some stick-ons that were stamped Fe, magnet picks them up, looks like a few are starting to be made of ferrous metal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies!

I am quite certain that I have got the lead weights, since the zinc weights are marked SN, are much harder and larger & those do not get scraped by the metal bucket, while the lead weights are marked with PB or are easily cut by the metal bucket when rubbed against eachother. I will check them again when melting though.

I was just uncertain that the adhesive and paint would go away / be separated during melting, but if they do separate, then it is all good.
I then have to get hold of some more lead from the same source before the stock of it dries up...

/Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I seperate out the stick on weights. They seem to be much softer almost like per lead.
The clip on weights just get tossed in the smelter pot. I put the smelter on a turkey cooker and then use a weed burner to get them hot on top. All of the paint and adhesive stuff will just burn off. Make sure you stand upwind. When It's all melted, you can skim off the clips and other crud. You can flux with a small piece of candle wax, then pour into ingots.
I think the safety info is don't eat or drink anything while smelting. Then wash your hands when done. As long as you don't get the lead too hot, you shouldn't have to worry about breathing in lead fumes. Any other thoughts on this?

It is definatly a good idea to stock up while we can.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the safety info is don't eat or drink anything while smelting. Then wash your hands when done. As long as you don't get the lead too hot, you shouldn't have to worry about breathing in lead fumes. Any other thoughts on this?

Yeah do it well away from the house or any area chldren will play in. Take your clothes directly to the washer and you go to the shower.
If there is a breeze let it carry the smoke away from you or use a fan.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zinc is ZN, tin is SN. Are you sure your weights are zinc? Tin melts at 429*. Zinc melts at 787*.
If you smelt at around 600*, the tin will melt in fast but the zinc will float.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies!
I have no ZN or SN weights in my buckets, have sorted them away when taking the lead weights. The ones that were marked ZN and also SN were much harder and much larger for the same weight as compared to lead, they also had another color.

I do not want any zinc in the cast since I read somewhere that 1/10000 of zinc is enough to ruin the casting capabilities of lead. The difference in melting temperature is not good enough reason for me to toss it all in and separate during melting. I therefore put all the SN and ZN weights to the side and picked all that I could dent/scrape with a piece of iron.

Sincerely
Daniel

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yep, just throw it all in a pot & don't let the temp get above 650deg. The zn should float on top & you can skim those off. If they are really greasy, I'll wash them in a bucket of soapy water (Dawn) to get some of the grease off. Just make sure they are completely dry before adding to a pot.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote