New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm still in awe of a [very old] cartridge that I overlooked for a very long time. And, in awe of the microgroove barrel in the 336CS that shoots it! (Yea, I know, Jump, you've not had such good luck with the MG bbl's). I stuck an old Tasco 3-9x40 scope on it today with Weaver mount and rings. Why? Because I had the parts and because I could. In twelve rounds at 50 yards (out behind the barn) I was not only on paper but just about one holing! Had to make a couple shots at 25 and then a couple bold adjustments, but it worked. Boolit? RCBS 35-200-FN. Powder? 35.0 IMR 3031. This is the same gun I trimmed much wood off the comb of the stock because it could not be shot do to recoil punching the cheek bone. Now, with the additional relief of the scope, it is very pleasurable to shoot. btw, the bore is very clean! This might make a really good deer getter down in the bottom woods. Have I ever mentioned how much I like RCBS moulds? sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sundog, would you be interested in donating some of those 200 grqainers for me to try in the .358? I'm considering getting a mold, and would like to know what prospects I have for accuracy and velocity from this barrel before investing.
waksupi@aboutmontana

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waksupi, Yup, be happy to! Shoot me an email at webmaster at castpics dot net with a snail mail addy, and I'll send some to you. How many?

Are the fires out, yet? 33 western counties in Oklahoma had fire ban cancelled today. We've had ALOT of rain. Should have been brown by now but we've had strategic rain all summer along with all the searing 100 plus wx (alot of that this year). Finally has backed off this weekend. sundog

Felix, getting close to lube making time, eh?

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost forgot to ask, checked and lubed or plain vanilla? sundog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sundog,
My Marlin 336 in 35 Rem likes the 200 gr RCBS as well as the Saeco 245 Gr FN. Mine has the standard 1953 Barrel.

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.......Sundog, if ya got any, try 41.0grs of WC846 under that 200 grainer. Of course you should start at about 35.0grs. From the 20" bbl on the Mauser the Saeco #356 200gr FNGC goes over 2200 fps. The 41.0gr load is a full caseload in my R-P cases, with the slug sitting on top of it. It seemed the faster I drove it the better the groups got, and they weren't EVER BAD :-)

........Buckshot

Posts: 119 | Location: Redlands, Calif | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cast boolits today (first time in at least four months = been WAY too hot). ALOT of boolits. Included were 35-200-FN -- lots of them. Waksupi, you are one lucky dude, pal. So's the grandson. He says he can shoot ALL the rest of them. Image that! These are really nice boolits. sundog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sundog - Things are still on fire here, a half million acres worth they said on the news tonight. I'll drop you a line through Castpics.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waksupi, package is on the west bound stage, today. Enjoy. Range report IS required. sundog

one of us
posted Hide Post
35 Remington.......just about everyone who speaks about this caliber praises it roundly. I have zero experience with the critter, but an older Remington pump rifle at a local shop for a pretty decent price has been "calling to me" for a while. I might just have to snag that critter and get tools to stuff cartridges with.

Youse guys cost me a LOT of money sometimes.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deputy Al, now yer talkin'! I'll even gift you a hunert of these mighty fine RCBS 35-200-FN. Then you and Waksupi can BOTH render range reports. sundog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deputy Al: no current insight into "Pretty decent price" at SoCal pawnshops,but if it;s a Rem 14,or 141 that's bitten you,don't give too many $ without checking out one of mine,especially if you can contain the "Itch" until NCBS' 04,send PM or e-mail to discuss further...have M14 in 32 Rem.also,if you want serious exotica.. Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I gots to pick me up one of those 35 rem leever guns. I have a fine 200 gr WFN gc mold, that shoots well in every 35 bore I run it through, but I don't have a round that is ideally suited to the bullet, which a 35 rem certainly would be.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried RL-7 with it, if 3031 works well, seems RL-7 ought to do the trick as well.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Paul, all medium speed powders work well with that case and boolit size, especially for offhand use. Should shoot an inch at hunnert if holding consistently off the bench. Yes, indeed, the 35 caliber is about perfect for cast using the mainstay gun metals and cartridge components. If the recoil wasn't so bad, I'd bet the BR folks would have jumped on it years ago. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
........Paul H is seriously afflicted like most of us :-). Yes hunny, I HAD to get this rifle. Why, when I have those others? Well you remember the last gunshow when I bought that box of stuff for $10? You do? Okay, well there was a old Herters 35 Rem seater die in there that was rather pointless without this new rifle. Hell no I couldn't just toss it way, what'er you thinking? That's NOT the way it works!

Oh how true!

........Buckshot

Posts: 119 | Location: Redlands, Calif | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
buckshot is soooooooo right. I've bought guns 'cause I had almost a full box of brass... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Actually I don't have that many guns, current count of centerfires is the 350 Rigby and 500 Jeffrey, oh yeah and a beater Polsky 7.62X54. My wife has almost an even count with the 6.5X55 swede and the .308 win.

Sometimes you buy the dies first, sometimes you buy the brass, and other times it's the mold, but there is always a good reason to get another gun [Wink]

I've always wanted a lever gun, and while a thutty thutty would be grand, I'm a died in the wool 35 fan. I wouldn't complain about getting a 357 mag Rossi, but used marlin 35 rem's can be had for $200 or under when they show up on the used racks. Which reminds me, there is a gunshop on the way home that usually has one on the rack [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H,
You cant have too many levers. A good 30/30, 32 SPL, 35 Rem, 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and a 45 LC reside in my gun room. I'm still looking at others but haven't seen the need as this group will do just about all I want. A 7-30 Waters would be a nice addition. Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd really like a 480 ruger lever as a companion to my revovler. With a 20" tube, it should be able to push a 400 gr 1500 fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
........Orygun Mark, what, you don't got'cha a M95 in 45-70?

.......Buckshot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth92374,
Nope. I figure that if the 350 gr 44 mag can't kill waht I am hunting then I am in trouble. Not to say if I found a cheap one that I might think about 10 seconds before buying it. Orygun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
want a real fun load try the 200rcbs with 10 grains of unique it shoots to the same place at 25 yards as my heavy load and kicks about like a .22 at 25 yards with a peep it blows one hole!

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote