Find
Notify
Tools

Cast in a Beretta 96 .40
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
I have a Beretta 96 stainless Inox .40 on the way and was wondering if you guys recommend cast bullets or if I should just use plated or jacketed bullets.

I use cast bullets in wheel guns but this is my first semi-auto.

Is it hard to get the hardness and velocity right so there is little to no leading?

I have a pretty good supply of Unique powder on hand; any favorite loads?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Youngoutdoors---Glocks are a different concept in that their barrels are not of the conventional material. There could be differences in leading etc from that of conventional barrels. You didn't ask about a Glock, you asked about a Beretta. Your Beretta being a conventional barrel will act no differently than what you are used to in revolvers, leading etc. Pressure to operate and feeding the automatic will be the factors of any difference from the revolver.(accuracy aside) .

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thanks carpetman1, I guess I will just have to experiment a little when the 40 gets here.

What are Glock barrels made of?

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
youngoutdoors--Not sure exactly what Glocks are made of--some artificial material like plastic or nylon. Would make good water gun I reckon.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've been using Power Pistol powder in a couple of Sigs and some XD's that our family has and it's turned out some impressive performance with high velocities and very good accuracy. I took a small mule deer buck a couple of years ago with that Sig 40 using Power Pistol and Lazer Cast slugs at around 40 yards.

Good luck and experimenting will be a lot of fun with that caliber.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The Berreta should run fine w/ cast bullets in the 40. The Lee 170grTC is a good design & can be had in their better 6cav molds. I shoot the Lyman 175gr (made for the 38-40) o/ 5.8gr of Unqiue, very accurate, makes just under 1000fps.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thanks fredj338, thats is just what I wanted to hear.

God Bless, Louis

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
youngoutdoors--Not sure exactly what Glocks are made of--some artificial material like plastic or nylon. Would make good water gun I reckon.

Just breezing thru this thread and found this post. I certainly hope this is intended as a joke! Surely no one thinks that a gun barrel can be made of plastic or nylon??? Glock barrels are made of steel, just like the rest. The difference is that they have hexagonal rifling. Due to the process in which the barrels are cut, they incurr quick and significant lead build up as compared to traditionally cut rifling.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been using several bullets, one a 180gr Dardas commercially cast SWC, the Lee 401-175-TC, and the Lee TL401-175-SWC. I've been using Accurate Arms #7 and Winchester & CCI standard small pistol primers. I've been shooting these in a Beretta 96G, with excellent results from the TL401-175-SWC.

There have been a lot of comments about poor dimensional uniformity between cavities on the Lee 401-175-TC, and that was my experience also, on a 6-cavity mold the cavities varied between .402" to .405".

The Accurate Arms #7 does leave a little unburned powder, but that does not trouble me.
CDD

Posts: 29 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote