Find
Notify
Tools

38-55 Mystery - Opinion Please
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted
I am new to cast bullet reloading, and shooting. I have a Winchester 1894 in 38-55 cal. My loads are 270 gr. bullet, 24grs. H322, new cases. This load keyholes in my gun, also we have shot this load in a Winchester 1885, a Winchester 1894-1994, and a H & R single shot they all keyholed. My other load is a 270gr bullet, 20grs of 5744, new cases, they also all keyholed in all the guns. Any help, advice etc will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
The Senator (Jerry Kazee) jerry.kazee@yahoo.com

Life Member NRA
Life Member CA Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
DOJ Certified Handgun Instructor
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Posts: 535 | Location: Lincoln, CA 95648 | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slug the bore-they don't fit. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I suspect you are shooting the Lyman 375449. It's a good bullet. I use it in my 375 Whelen.
In my rifle the accurate size is .378 to .379.
I'd bet the bullet size is the problem.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly the 38-55 used a .378 diameter bullet. I don't remember the original weight bullet it used, but if your bullet is too heavy it will most likely be too long to stabilize. A combination of too small, too long a bullet and low velocity could be your problem.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bite; what "270 gr bullet"?

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted Hide Post
I should have been more specific in my questioning. The bore was slugged by a gunsmith when I purchased the gun. The bore is .377 the bullets are cast by a friend of mine and they are Lyman mold .377 lube sized to .377, lyman mold 375449.
Like I said, we have shot both loads thru 3 different guns besides my own and they keyhole in all the guns. The loads I got from cast bullet shooters at are local range. The gun is not overbored, the loads are about 1680 to 1710 fps. Are they not crimped tight enough? Are the bullets bad? They are not gas checked. Thanks for all your help. Its a mystery to all the cast bullet guys I know. My gun shoots factory jacketed bullet (winchester) just fine. I get 3 1/2 groups at 100yds open sights on the bench.

Life Member NRA
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation

Posts: 535 | Location: Lincoln, CA 95648 | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted Hide Post
PS- From my last post. When I shot the two different loads about 8 shots per load, it took me about 3 hours to clean the gun. The lube in the barrel was very very hard to get out with Montana Extreme, with a bore brush, lots of patches etc. Is the lube good????

Life Member NRA
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The H&R groove diameters can go as large as .382. Mine is .380. The 38-55 is a true .38 not a .375 so try some bullets as cast (larger up to .382) with the ordinary alox lube.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an H&R Target with the oversize bore. Cartridges loaded with bullets to match the bore wouldn't quite chamber so I had to size them just a bit by running them part way (about 1/8") into the resizing die. They would load OK but accuracy wasn't all that great. I sold it and got a C. Sharps Hi-Wall with a .376" groove diameter. Much better.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Senator

quote:
they are Lyman mold .377 lube sized to .377, lyman mold 375449......the loads are about 1680 to 1710 fps......They are not gas checked.

There is your problem. 375449 is a GC'd bullet design. If you intend to push it much over 1200 fps w/o the GC then inaccuracy will occur as you have found out. I suggest you GC those bullets and then they will, no doubt, shoot fine. If you want a plain based bullet then get a Lyman 375248 mould and don't push it over 1600 fps for best accuracy.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
larry got it.
that and the size issue.
i shoot 379 in my marlin and winchester 375 win guns.
an 38-55 is more likely to be 380-382.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU guys for all the information, and help.
Back to the drawing board, and I will let you know.
Respectfully,
The Senator

Life Member NRA
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation

one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted Hide Post
OK, I had the gun reslugged by another gunsmith.
He stated the bore is .381 so I think there is the problem. Does anyone know where I can get .382 cast bullets that are gas checked?
The Senator

Life Member NRA
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Call Buffalo Arms and see if they can cast some a tad larger than the .380 they show here.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,200.html

The next step is to have a mold made to fit your rifle. I just had one made for me from Tom at,
http://www.accuratemolds.com/

Very quick and very nice along with the prices!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Senator,
Call Marshall up @ beartooth bullets and get some .380 265gn. hardcast bullets, @.380 they will [bump up] enough to fit Your bore @.381, especially if kicked in the tail w/a good dose of reloader #7 powder.
Good luck,
Jerry