New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eyes & apertures
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 20" octagon barrel Model 94 30-30 is a great cast bullet shooter. Sights are a Lyman 66 rear peep and a Lyman 17A target front. Just two days ago using Lyman 311041 bullets and 25 grs Varget, I shot a 5 shot, 100 yard benchrest group of 1 3/8". I followed that with a 3 shot, 100 yard benchrest group of 3/4".

However . . . both good groups were preceded with and followed by 5" and 6" groups. I've having an optic problem with aperture focus. After staring through the aperture for a while, a very thin lint-like curved line bisects the aperture. It splits the bullseye in two and ruins groups. A larger aperture decreases the line but does not eliminate it. Obviously, my 62-year-old eyes are the problem. Anyone have a solution?

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Junior1942----At age 62 I'm guessing,make that betting you wear bifocals/reading glasses. If so,get print you can't read without the glasses and take a piece of paper with a pin hole and hold against your eye and now read the print. You can also curl your index finger real tight and do the same thing. That is basically what glasses do--they make your eye focus--something it has lost ability to do. That is why peep sights are especially liked by us old geezers. If you are just now experiencing your eyes getting tired abd blurry at age 62 you are very lucky by several years. To be sure I would get an eye exam. Amongst the long list of stuff that happens as we age cataracts is a possibility.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you closing your left eye?

After doing something with one eye closed for a while, the open eye will get tired, and the closed eye will get blurry. That's just how your body adjusts to having one eye closed. The open works harder, and the closed one sort of takes a nap.

After all these years of closing one eye, I'm not going to suggest you simply leave your left eye open. What I suggest is putting a piece of Scotch tape on the left lens of your shooting glasses. Position it so it interferes with your left eye seeing the sights and target. The funciton of the translucent tape is admit light but prevent your sight picture from getting messed up.

I find I can shoot with both eyes open this way and not get a confused sight picture or messed up vision. With light coming into your left eye, your body won't compensate by making the right eye work twice a hard, and your eyes won't get tired so fast.

Good luck,

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote