THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    Lee mold 45 cal 230gr cast bullet/ crimping question

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee mold 45 cal 230gr cast bullet/ crimping question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New to pistol reloading, have had 45 colt dies for years, only loaded some snake shot years ago. A freind that casts gave me some bullets (free)from a Lee 45 cal, 230 gr, .452 dia tumble lube cast bullets mold

Where would you role crimp these for a SAA 1873 AWA colt revolver?
I was thinking crimp between the top two ribs, but C.O.L. might be too long. Would crimping above the top rib be OK. Im worried the bullet could slide into the case deeper upon fireing.

As I print this im going to test seat a bullet between the two top ribs and see if it protrudes out of the cylinder

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them for loads in my Taurus Gaucho. I crimp so that the case mouth crimps just at the top of the top rib. OAL comes to 1.630", which is .030" over max. and they just clear. If I was seating them past the top rib, I think I would use a taper crimp rather than a rolled.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JD
The revolver rounds are crimped to prevent the bullet from moving OUT of the case.
It is in rifles with tube magazines that require crimps to prevent bullets from going INTO the case.

Posts: 15 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bullet is for the ACP technically, but it should work in a LC as well. Take an empty case and measure it in the revolvers cylinder. This will give you a usable maximum COL for your specific gun, at least for this purpose.
I do know that if you use the "Keith" SWC (Lyman 452424) it will be over the listed COL if crimped at the crimp groove, too. You can taper crimp on the front driving band to make book length.

Posts: 174 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 03 June 2009Reply With Quote