New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 32 cal WC's in a 30 cal rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ken Waters, in his PET LOADS book has an article on gallery loads. he uses a 32 caliber plain based semi-wadcutter lead bullet by Hornady in the 30-30 with 4.0 gr. of Unique. Velocity in a rifle is in the 990 FPS range. There might be a small lss in a Contender.
Some of my pet loads include the Lyman #311316, a 110 gr. gas checked bullet with the above load, or with 8.0 gr. of Unique for a bit more punch. Both loads are accurate in an M94 carbine. I also have a 115 gr. SAECO round nose bevel based bullet, but it does not seen to want to work in any rifle. Yet, that bullet is a tackdriver in a .30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk. I recently acquired a Lyman #3118 in hollow point form, but haven't had a chance to try it out.
The loads Mr. Waters gives for the 30-30 are as follows. Bullet is the 32 caliber Hornady 90 gr. SWC.
Red Dot......3.0 gr.........960 FPS
AAC-2........3.5 gr.........961 FPS
Unique.......4.0............990 FPS
Bullets are .314" in diameter so you'll have to run them in a sizing die to .310".
Are the loads worth bothering with? I think so. They're good for practice and small game out to about 35-40 yards. They do require a sight adjustment, but they are a lot of fun to shoot and inexpensive as well.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max, I made a slight error on the availability of the Lee 113gr. "wadcutter." It's listed on the Auction Arms site, not eBay, for $8.00.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote