New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: help- design of chamber/ bore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Ricochet, I have shot bullets that the nose was too small and they shot poorly for me. I wondered if .002 of interference was too much but I am sure that less than .0005 is TOO little- esp. for really hot loads. If one side engraves a little more tan the other side- your nose is cocked- (hmmm- note to censor- this is not what you think it is!- LOL ) Have you ever known anyone to shoot bullets with this much interference? I really want positive alignment in the nose and I would lube the nose with liquid Alox. Unless I am thinking wrong ( hmmmm- it's happened before!) - .002 undersized bore would engrave the nose of the slug about .001 for each land. ( would your mileage would vary with Enfield 5 land/groove?) Yes, jacketed slugs might be a problem- one would have to take special care there. I thank you for your thoughts to keep me true. Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dale if your a Mauser fan and like the trigger I don't think you give that much away given a fairly true action. I'm not familiar with the feeding of the Mausers and finding a Rem drilled for sights has to be a long shot.

So- you want 2400 fps with 2 MOA as the limit.. in a 308. It might be stretching the window but doable if the bullet comes in at 190 with a check mounted.

IMO- your first job is finding out how uniform those four cavities are, and exactly what dia's they throw with your alloy. At that speed cavity runout is in play with the as cast dimensions varying by more than .0002

Next is finding a way to uniform the bullets by sizing everything that's going to engrave, including the bore ride. Or segregate the cavities and shooten them in lots.
You'll be heat treating if your using ww alloy, so sizing pre-treatment is desirable.

But in the deal swings on your groove dia and barrel you choose. I think their all decent from the name manufacturers-- Shilen, Hart, Lilja, Krieger, Rock, PacNor... but I do suggest staying with a quality maker and forget the discounters. It might be best when you get to this point to choose a cast bullet SMITH. One who regularly cuts cast bullet chambers and understands the what and why's. He'd make barrel suggestions and help you work out throating dimensions for that groove dia and how his reamers cut.

Ok- could you use a good smith sans the cast experience and do it right? Sure I think so. Just be sure what the chamber throat is getting cut too, what the neck dia is and how your plans for turning brass work against his dia's and how you'd go about fitting your bullet to that setup.

Is a complete glove fit to the throat needed? IMO- no. With a rider like that centering and the first driver into the leade to contact it, you should be fine. Remember heat treating those bullets means about .001 of engagement/interferance fit with the lands is plenty. Most use sligthly less I think but you take what you get most of the time. What you want is a reliable way to chamber the rd and keep your OAL constant-- to say the obvious.

One final rd which is just personal bias-- labeled as such. While I have not had a Shilen fitted, I like the idea of 8 lands and grooves. Why? Driving side land height total. Think about it.. 8 little walls .004 high vs only 6 or even 4. No one has established this extra driving side height produces an advantage, but how can it hurt? And their button rifled which usually arrives smoother than a cut rifled barrel. But neither is better than the other, again IMO.

Design your plan, get all the variables worked out before hand. Enjoy and good shooten!

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote