New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's up with this? (OT)
 Login/Join

<Guest>
posted
This is a piece of S&W's 8-K filed this past month....a "restatement" is generally reeeely bad news......

On August 14, 2003, Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation issued a press
release announcing its expected results of operations for the fiscal year
ended April 30, 2003, that the filing of its Annual Report on Form 10-KSB
for the fiscal year ended April 30, 2003 has been delayed, that it has
engaged its independent accountants to re-audit the fiscal year 2002 and
that it will restate its financial statements for the fiscal year 2002. A
copy of the press release is attached as an exhibit to this report.

....let's hope the best for them......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Too early to worry yet. Who knows, maybe they had Arthur Anderson as accountants! <G> With all the corporate roiling, the consultant/accounting business is under a lot of scruitiny these days. You know how it is with the suits -- all things considered, they'd rather not go to jail. <GGG>

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have problems.Theres no other reason to delay something like that.

Posts: 108 | Location: Ga | Registered: 17 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you say so, BM. Far be it from me to argue with an accountant.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
I agree Grumble, it is too early to be concerned- the market hasn't destroyed their common share price (but there's no trade volume). To restate the past year normally means that there is a serious problem. However, if they've been following GAAP no one should be concerned about becoming a ward of the state. If they've pulled a WorldCom- i.e. capitalized operational expenses, then we'll all suffer. I can't imagine how much fun the Brady folks would have with an accounting scandal at a firearms manufacturing firm......

one of us
posted Hide Post
B&W, yep, if there does happen to be some scandal, it will be bad news. But from the quote you provided, it sounds like they're restating their 2002 10k info. If I'm not mistaken, that would be the the first audit after the new guys took over from the Brits who tried to run S&W into the ground. So, lots of acquisition charges and writeoffs could have been misstated when it was acquired. That would have a ripple effect into subsequent years, and with all the emphasis currently on corporate honesty, it is very possible they just want to get all the dirt out.

For all we know, the previous owners might have tried to write off bribes to Jesse Jackson and Andrew Cuomo as legal expenses. <GGG> I don't see a WCOM or Enron type problem here. At least, not yet.

<Guest>
posted
Outstanding insight Grumble....I've not followed SWB before but it has mild appeal. I was unaware of the issues you mentioned. Hopefully we'll see solid numbers soon.

Thank you very much!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fundamentals and technicals don't look too wonderful as an investment, IMO.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/research/profile.asp?Symbol=swb

Seems to me investing in the stock would be more to make a statement than to make money. That's thinking too much like a liberal for my taste, though! <GGG>

<Guest>
posted
That's interesting....Multex has them earning +.02 per share....either way you're likely right. I believe that it may be worth following for a time to see if retail speculation moves the pps but I seriously doubt revenues will drive SWB up this year....

Thanks again!

one of us
posted Hide Post
yea, also I am a Psychiatrist.

Posts: 108 | Location: Ga | Registered: 17 June 2003Reply With Quote