Find
Notify
Tools

220 grain cast in a 40 auto?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
Does anyone shoot 220 grain bullets in their auto? I have a new to me Beretta 96 and am currently shooting 200 grain XTP's but am thinking about trying 220 grain cast. Part of my logic is that I shoot 40 caliber bullets in my muzzleloading rifle and would like to try 220 grain in it also. Would like to shoot the same bullet in both firearms.

Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 220 gr cast bullets in the 40 S&W. Was the practice 10 years ago for Limited class IPSC as it is very soft shooting (that is, recoil is spread out over time and feels soft).

You going to use a sabot around the .40 cal bullet in the ML?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have been using a .40 cal Hornady XTP 200 grain bullet in a sabot in a .50 Encore for several years. Just though I would like to try a little heavier bullet. Can't find a heavier jacketed bullet and thought its hard to beat lead anyway. I am sure a 220 in the MZ will be good just wasn't sure about the Beretta.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Louis,

The .40 I was shooting them in is a Para-based 1911 with a Nowlin barrel and a Baer slide. This combination allows loading the round rather long though ... just short of 10mm length. Is quite accurate.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote