THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    Cast Spitzer noses out the 'orange' bullet @ 600 today

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Spitzer noses out the 'orange' bullet @ 600 today
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did some plinking today with a friend... me shooten the Marlin sporter 06 and Bill the 270 WSM in two different guns. Wind was nill to decent gusts from 7 o'clock to our postion. Swishing and tricky..

My load was the 329 modified spitzer over Blue Dot... hardened and set into the lands something around 1900. Didn't get enough light in today to clock'm. Bill's were scream'n otta the 270 with 130's and 140's making over 3100 fps and above.

We shooten our first groups... 3 rds each @ 600 yds and take the trip down to the target.. each with good alibi's BTW. I called a rd left at leftoff and high-- he complained his scope wasn't adjusted for the distance. His went into a neat 6 3/4"... my 329's made 5 1/2" with two kiss'n cousins and the called rd left high were I said it would be.

The 270 WSM held the day for consistency as I was changing chg wts and dia and hardness for a looksee. But my first loading which made smallest group was fired extensively into the sand bank for sighters and plinking at a can @ 600. Next trip they'll all be that first loading....

We had fun.. nice day at 40 degrees. Winter can stay away for a few more months.

This 329 is the same bullet albeit only .070" shorter than the Lee 30-210 HBC-A which I'm organizing a custom mold run purchase from Lee. We've lost the archive thread of that info but I think we'll have the drawing up in a short time. Then we'll renew the details of this spitzer mold run.

[ 12-04-2003, 05:20: Message edited by: aladin ]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Aladin, let's stay over here to discuss things. I did not like that bearded comment over there. Too many wiskers for me. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by felix:
Aladin, let's stay over here to discuss things. I did not like that bearded comment over there. Too many wiskers for me. ... felix

You'll have to explain Felix...what ya talking about??

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aladin, that's pretty danged impressive shooting in my books.

Personally I've always been able to outshoot guys with the smaller calibers at any distance with my 30 caliber rifles. (Although some of these sore losers have pointed out that I carry a .30 caliber ball point pen in my shirt pocket.) [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
Aladin, that's pretty danged impressive shooting in my books.

Personally I've always been able to outshoot guys with the smaller calibers at any distance with my 30 caliber rifles. (Although some of these sore losers have pointed out that I carry a .30 caliber ball point pen in my shirt pocket.) [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Not really Pecos. I think most of the guys reading on here coulda at least matched my results. So much a gust of wind here.. a zig or zag that at times works in my favor. I post those Lady Luck events for a couple reasons: to encourage others to try same with cast and to show what a cast spitzer CAN do.

I'd like to see what this 329/30-210-HBC-A could do in a really good barrel. And with a real skillful shoooter... in my iron sighted 03 especially.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin:

A: (I) Did some plinking today with a friend... me shooten the Marlin sporter 06 and Bill the 270 WSM in two different guns.. .. my first loading which made smallest group was fired extensively into the sand bank for sighters and plinking at a can @ 600. Next trip they'll all be that first loading....

F: Wow!

How can you even SEE a tin can at 600 yards through your iron sights is amazing! Let along shoot groups small enough to hit it now and then.

But! You never did say how big the can was. Perhaps it is an old 6 gallon paint can? That would be about my style.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FAsmus:
Aladin:

A: (I) Did some plinking today with a friend... me shooten the Marlin sporter 06 and Bill the 270 WSM in two different guns.. .. my first loading which made smallest group was fired extensively into the sand bank for sighters and plinking at a can @ 600. Next trip they'll all be that first loading....

F: Wow!

How can you even SEE a tin can at 600 yards through your iron sights is amazing! Let along shoot groups small enough to hit it now and then.

But! You never did say how big the can was. Perhaps it is an old 6 gallon paint can? That would be about my style.

Good afternoon,
Forrest

Scope shooten Forrest. Can barely see the backstop at that distance [Smile] .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slipped out for a another quick trial today. Made a five shooter @6 going 8.9" with four into less than 6" Using the four plex junction on the recticle is limiting precise holding with a 3x9 variable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alladin

When I lived in OK my good friend there and I went down to a desert Army shooting range in the southeast part of OK. I want to say the range was called Gruber or something like. Anyways the purpose was for my friend to see how his scoped Remington 700 in 30-06 shot at 500 yds. I took my Sako 7mm Mag with me and a 29 inch barrel Brazilian 98 Mauser in 7x57 mauser. I was loading the Lyman 150 gr Loverin style bullet probably (as I can't remember) over some medium speed IMR powder. My friend laughed when I took it out of the gun case. I just said I wanted to just see what it would do. We didn't even have a bench. I had shot that mauser alot to get an idea of where to set the sight as surely the load didn't match them, they shot way lower. I took a guess and set and I just fired 5 at the bull with the stock military sight. Well after he fired his 06 we went out to the target. We figured it would be easy to tell the difference between 7mm holes and 30 cal. But he commented I wasn't even going to hit the cardboard anyways. Well I did. No I'm not going to tell you it was some small group, it was like alittle larger then a foot group. Surprised me that I even hit the cardboard as the sight setting was just a guest. He kept kiddingly saying on the drive home "That dang nab old mauser almost out shot my 06".

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin:

A: Scope shooten Forrest. Can barely see the backstop at that distance..

F: Isn't that sort of like cheating?

Today it warmed up enough for me to go shoot the 44/63 Ballard again. It has been too cold for outdoor shooting for a few weeks and I had a backlog of long range shooting I wanted to do.

My load today was the 465-grain PB bullet over 27 grains AA2200 and 15 grains Hominy Grits lit-off by the WLRM primer. I used the inverted gas check in this load as well.

Results were good. I had fifty loaded and my task was to get sight settings for the new load combination for all 10 of our targets. I only had trouble at the 500 meter Buffalo. He was in deep snow which swallowed up sighters (misses) without a bit of fuss, unlike dirt which tells where the misses land for subsequent sight adjustments.

I worked all the way out to the 834-yard distance where we have a 4 X 4 steel target. This was relatively easy to hit but was covered with many, many previous hits and I was too lazy to go out there and paint it. With all the old hits, I could not tell where my new hits were landing, so, I changed over to the little 2 X 2 Diamond we have set at the same distance.

Through iron sights the 2X2 is hard to see very well, but it is possible to see it and hit it. More to the point, even if missed an inch or two off one side or the other a man can see WHERE he went wrong (or right!) with holding and trigger control or condition estimation. The handy thing about the 800+ distance is that a fellow may easily shoot, then move over to the spotting scope and see his bullet arrive on target. There is no need to have a spotter working with you beyond a certain distance.

Good evening,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
F: Isn't that sort of like cheating?

A. No. We don't all have the peepers of a Forrest A. I would agree it's not as much fun as lobbing those bullets down there otta the iron sighted 03 though. But these new fangled scopes are nice for working up loads.....

Hope to get irons on my Buff this winter too.

one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 12-07-2003, 05:13: Message edited by: aladin ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Aladin, I made the big mistake of getting RK eye surgery when they still did it with the scapel incissions. Big mistake, my eyes are really *****ed up. So for real long distance I have to use a scope. One thing I've had fun with a scope is on my CZ 550 30-06. I've found out that so far I'm shooting smaller groups with it using cast then condoms. Sure surprised me. I mean without alot of effort put forth either. Just grabbed my 314299's, loaded them over some surplus 844 and went out to my range to see what they would do. Wow! one ragged hole at 100 yds. I thought after shooting my first condoms when I just had gotten the rifle that, oh oh, this one isn't going to be so accurate. Well the cast changed my mind about the rifle now. I admit this is a first for me where a modern rifle shoots better with cast...so far. But anyways like aladin said some of us don't have such good peepers anymore.

Joe