Find
Notify
Tools

SCORED!! Lotsa Plumbum..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
I went on my weekly Thursday pilgrimage to the scrap yard and the boys had saved me 180 lbs. even!! WOW!

One roof vent, one slab that came from something resembling a roof vent, 42 pounds clean melted "spagetti" and the rest peeled of the back of very thin aluminum siding.

That one roof vent with flange weighed in at 44 pounds. The spagetti is the stuff from the aluminum siding, one of the guys started a fire in the burning barrel and was tossing in the lead foil. Came right out the bottom, pretty as can be.

I couldn't pick it all up on Thursday so I told them I would come back for the rest of it Friday. They said they'd save it for me so when I went over, I stopped at a donut shop and picked up a dozen filled donuts for the scrap shed boys. They loved it.

I have about 300 pounds now so I think that'll do me. I need to start melting and casting into ingots. Gonna take a long time to do it with one RCBS mould.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Nitroman,

This aint my idea, but rather one I "borrowed" from BruceB.

"Lead Ingot Idea - BruceB
I'll admit to being cheap, but my ingot moulds are NOT inefficient!

My friends in the shop used four pieces of 1.5" angle-iron 10.5" in length, and welded them side-by-side like this: VVVV. A piece of flat stock was welded across each end of the "troughs." A handle made of narrower flat stock was welded to each of the end pieces for ease of handling. ALL welds should be on the OUTSIDE to allow easier release of the ingots.

Why 10.5 " in length??? Because at that particular length, they leave a finger's space at the end of the ingots in the .50-cal ammo cans which I use to store them. They stack so tightly, being triangular in section, that it's often impossible to scrabble one loose from the pile if you can't lift an end. A .50 can holds over 100 pounds of ingots, and this is a convenient size to use as a "lot" of alloy for control purposes. BTW, Each ingot weighs around three pounds."

That will help supliment your single RCBS ingot mould! [Big Grin]

Regards,

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I picked up a stick of channel iron and cut it into about 3" sections angled on the end and welded flatbar to the ends. I then welded some long 1/4" bolts to one end, cut some sticks and screwed on the bolts for handles. I made mine smaller so I could add them one at a time to my Lee pot. I'm into it for about $5.00 for 16 ingot molds.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pick up old muffin pans at the second hand store, the ones your kids make cupcakes in. Aluminum is even better than the tin ones.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had trouble getting the lead out of aluminum muffin pans. An old steel muffin pan I got for 25 cents at a garage sale works fine.