New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Favorite Quotes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
"Measure a man's wealth not in the lavishness of his possessions, but rather in the paucity of his desires"

(Forget where I stole that one and would appreciate it if someone can remind me."

"Dowson found harlots cheaper than hotels." -- Ezra Pound

(You gotta love a practical man.)

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With no objection, I would like to post some favorite quotes. Any one can join in! I will try to average 1 each day. Dale

OUR FREEDOMS ARE A SINGLE BUNDLE, ALL MUST BE SECURE IF ANY IS TO BE PRESERVED. DWIGHT EISENHOWER

GOD GIVES EVERY BIRD ITS FOOD, BUT HE DOES NOT THROW IT IN THE NEST.
J.G. HOLLAND

THE DIFFICULT WE DO IMMEDIATELY. THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A LITTLE LONGER.
ARMY SERVICE MOTTO

HE HAS ALL THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A DOG-EXCEPT LOYALITY. THOMAS GREEN

GENTLEMEN, THERE COMES A TIDE IN THE AFFAIRS OF B___ARDS ( edited by Dale) WHEN NO AMOUNT OF CURSING WILL SUFFICE. LET US MERELY OBSERVE A MOMENT OF SILENCE, LIKE A DEAF-MUTE WHO HAS JUST HIT HIS FINGERS WITH A HAMMER.
JOHN BARRYMORE

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will not be wronged. I will not be lied to or layed a hand on. I do not do these things to other people and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB (John Bernard) Books in "The Shootist"

The word 'require' has special significance, because it means he will back up what he says,... and he did. It was a coward what did him in - shot in the back. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Tom Myers
posted Hide Post
My memory does not serve me as to the author of this quote, but the quote itself is one that has served me well over the years.

"To be a man is, precicely, to be responsible."

I first read the quote on the foreplate of a book telling the true story of an unassuming, ordinary man who was appointed sheriff of a small community, assumed the dangerous responsibilities of the position and was subsequently killed in the commision of his duties.

I also cannot remember the name of the book or the author. I think the first name of the man appointed sheriff was Rosco, but even that seems obscure now. Old age seems to be creeping up on me.

Tom Myers

Posts: 13 | Location: Nimrod, Minnesota | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the signature line I use here--"Fortuna favorat fortis". It means "Fortune favors the strong/brave" in Latin, and I read it in my second year of Latin class in high school in an account by Pliny of his actions during the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius at Pompeii in 79 A.D.

Pliny described how he rowed a small boat back and forth between the Pompeii shorline and Roman triremes anchored in the harbor, rescuing people that made their way to the beach from the town proper as the eruption took place--something like an early version of Dunkirk. He commented about having trouble breathing due to ash, dust, and smoke but covered his face and continued his efforts, saying ".....Fortuna favorat fortis....." to encourage himself to keep the efforts up.

In my personal and professional life, I have found this statement to carry weight. Just doing SOMETHING--and sometimes something audacious and imaginative--carries the day and makes a difference.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a great believer in luck, I find the harder I work, the more I have, of it. Stephen Leacock.

Posts: 59 | Location: Barrie Ont. Can. | Registered: 20 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the one I quote most often is Lil Abner's observation, "As any fool can plainly see".

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saint-Exup�ry captures this sense of dedication, courage and tenacity in Wind, Sand and Stars:

To be a man is, precisely, to be responsible. It is to feel shame at the sight of what seems unmerited misery. It is to take pride in a victory won by one's comrades. It is to feel, when setting one's stone, that one is contributing to the building of the world. 1

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oscar Wilde's last words: "This wallpaper is killing me. One of us has to go."

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi to All! All good quotes so far but that Oscar Wilde quote was TOO much! LOL

ONE MACHINE CAN DO THE WORK OF FIFTY ORDINARY MEN. NO MACHINE CAN DO THE WORK OF ONE EXTRAORDINARY MAN. ELBERT HUBBARD

THE OPTIMIST PROCLAIMS THAT WE LIVE IN THE BEST OF ALL POSSIBLE WORLDS; AND THE PESSIMIST FEARS THIS IS TRUE. JAMES BRANCH CABEL

HOW POOR THEY ARE THAT HAVE NOT PATIENCE. W. SHAKESPEARE

HE IS RICH INDEED WHOM GOD LOVES. UNKNOWN

I HAVE NO OTHER BUT A WOMAN'S REASON. I THINK HIM SO BECAUSE I THINK HIM SO.
W. SHAKESPEARE
Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being an old man I find this one more fitting each day.

"Old men are fond of giving good advice, to console themselves for being no longer in a position to give bad examples." -La Rochefoucald

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A leopard never loses it's spots.

You can wish in one hand and shit in the other, and you'll see which one gets full the sooner.

That helping hand you're looking for is attached to your arm.

Young democrats grow up to be Republicans.

You can call me Mister Tibbs.

WE hold these things to be self evident.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I remember this quote from Geo. B. Shaw everytime I stand line at the grocery store.
'Great minds deal in ideas, average minds deal in facts, substandard minds deal in personalities.'

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend used to quote from Sir James Stephens' "The Crock of Gold":

"PERFECTION IS FINALITY;

FINALITY IS DEATH.

NOTHING IS PERFECT -

THERE ARE LUMPS IN IT."

Sorta like casting bullets with unknown alloy mixes.

floodgate

one of us
posted Hide Post
HENRY DAVID THOREAU: "I'd rather be alone on a pumpkin than crowded on a velvet cushion."

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
My favorite from Oscar Wilde is "Of all the sexual perversions, chasity is the most perverse!"
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"Bullet moulds are like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get" Author unknown

one of us
posted Hide Post
"A promise made is a debt unpaid."

Robert Service....The Ballad of Sam McGee

/beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
"Duty is the rent we pay for life." the Queen Mother

"Do your duty in all things. You can not do more, you should not wish to do less." Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. This has been attributed to others.

"Figures don't lie but liars sure can figure." anonymous

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"A man has gotta know his limitations"

"If I'm a bad example, then at least I can show what not to do."

"Its like the difference between a Silvertip and a normal hollowpoint. When the SHTF, it really doesn't matter, as long as you can hit whatever your shooting at."

Posts: 80 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
- Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)

"I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it."
- Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

(all this from Gabriel Robins' home page ---he wants to be credited )

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes"

"The only way to get three farmers to agree, is to shoot two of them"

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In honor of President Reagan, :

"Republicans think every day is July 4th. Democrats think every day is April 15th. (As I remember this quote.)

Ronald Reagan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oscar Wilde, again: "I can resist anything but temptation."

Unknown(to me): "Life is too precious to be taken seriously"
I came to appreciate that one during a long bout with cancer (that I obviously won).

posted Hide Post
"People sleep peaceably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf".
George Orwell

"One kills in order to have hunted. One does not hunt in order to kill".
Ortega y Gasset

"Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe"
Unknown

Posts: 9 | Location: Bella Vista, AR | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Oscar Wilde, again: "I can resist anything but temptation."

Unknown(to me): "Life is too precious to be taken seriously"
I came to appreciate that one during a long bout with cancer (that I obviously won).

Oscar Wilde, "Life is far to precious to be taken seriously."

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALWAYS DO RIGHT. THIS WILL GRATIFY SOME PEOPLE, AND ASTONISH THE REST.
MARK TWAIN

ALL THE RIVERS RUN INTO THE SEA,YET THE SEA IS NOT FULL.

ECCLESIASTES 1:7

SOMEBODY SAID THAT IT COULDN'T BE DONE
BUT HE WITH A CHUCKLE REPLIED
THAT MAYBE IT COULDN'T, BUT HE WOULD BE ONE
WHO WOULDN'T SAY SO TILL HE'D TRIED
SO HE BUCKLED RIGHT IN WITH A TRACE OF A GRIN
ON HIS FACE. IF HE WORRIED, HE HID IT.
HE STARTED TO SING AS HE TACKLED THE THING
THAT COULDN'T BE DONE, AND HE DID IT. ]
EDGAR A. GUEST

WITH MALICE TOWARD NONE, WITH CHARITY FOR ALL, WITH FIRMNESS IN THE RIGHT,AS GOD GIVES US TO SEE THE RIGHT. A. LINCOLN

A FANATIC IS A MAN THAT DOES WHAT HE THINKS THE LORD WUD DO IF HE KNEW THE FACTS IV THE CASE. FINLEY PETER DUNN

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is just a little off the subject but I want to tell it.

A fighter wing stationed in Europe just got a new P51 fighter in and the Col. wanted to fly it. He orders ___Olen ______ to fly his plane ( The Col.'s own plane) and he will fly the new one. The war was almost over but still you had to fly with a wingman.They take off and fly a while and decide to land in liberated France for a drink. The Col. lands first....and the Frenchmen ,overjoyed to see an American fighter pilot up close, carry him on their shoulders and cheer lustily. About that time,_________ Olen lands the Col.'s plane with 13 Swastikas painted on the side. The french THROW the col. on the ground and run over to carry ________ Olen on their shoulders. They had the right guy and threw him down for the wrong reason! This is a true story from one of those involved. Dale

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, how about something that's totally meaningless?
"Where you are is where you're at"
Billy, a pothead/drunk trying to explain the meaning of life.

Posts: 39 | Location: Caribou, Maine | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Now, how about something that's totally meaningless?
"Where you are is where you're at"
Billy, a pothead/drunk trying to explain the meaning of life.

I overheard a drunk biker in a bar restroom in North Myrtle Beach, SC years ago earnestly explaining that to another. "It just don't make a f__k where the hell you go. There you are!"

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
--Arthur C. Clarke

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
--Howard Aiken, IBM engineer

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."
- Isaac Asimov

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."
- Niels Bohr (1885-1962)

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
- Yogi Berra

"Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
- Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
� Copyright Notice: the quotations collection on this Web page is copyright � 1994-2004 by Professor Gabriel Robins. Permission is hereby granted to anyone to make copies of this Web page, either in part or in its entirety, including using any part of the collection above in published works, as long as: (1) Professor Gabriel Robins is properly cited/credited as the creator of this quotations collection, including a Web link to this quotes Web page (http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/quotes.html), and (2) this copyright notice is included in all copies made of this collection, be it electronic, written, or any other format.

( Did you ever see anyone who wanted to be recognized for collecting someone else's words?)

posted Hide Post
"Per ardua ad astra".
"Through the clouds-to the stars".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't suppose the list would like 71 foolscap pages of my collected Quotes..
Here are 2
For those who are proud of their lifetime shooting record, we learn of an old geezer, aged 96, who at the end of his life in the Transvaal boasted that he had taken 341 elephants, 187 lions, 40 kaffirs and two Englishmen. It will take some doing to top that.
~ ~ JEFF COOPER

Every Man Should Have A Rifle
Henry Lawson

So I sit and write and ponder, while the house is deaf and dumb,
Seeing visions "over yonder" of the war I know must come.
In the corner – not a vision – but a sign for coming days
Stand a box of ammunition and a rifle in green baize.
And in this, the living present, let the word go through the land,
Every tradesman, clerk and peasant should have these two things at
hand.

No – no ranting song is needed, and no meeting, flag or fuss –
In the future, still unheeded, shall the spirit come to us!
Without feathers, drum or riot on the day that is to be,
We shall march down, very quiet, to our stations by the sea.
While the bitter parties stifle every voice that warns of war,
Every man should own a rifle and have cartridges in store!

Luke in Oz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Luke! I, for one, would very much like to see your quotes!

"AT WHAT POINT SHOULD WE EXPECT THE APPROACH OF DANGER. SHOULD WE EXPECT SOME TRANSATLANTIC MILITARY GIANT TO CROSS THE OCEAN AND CRUSH US AT A BLOW? NEVER! ALL THE ARMIES OF EUROPE, ASIA AND AFRICA COMBINED COULD NOT BY FORCE TAKE A DRINK FROM THE OHIO OR LEAVE A TRACK ON THE BLUE RIDGE IN A TRIAL OF A THOUSAND YEARS." ABRAHAM LINCOLN

(I done this quote from memory- so I hope it is right, Dale)

one of us
posted Hide Post
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Bera

"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson

"Isn't it strange? The same people who laugh at Gypsy fortune tellers take economists seriously." Cincinnati Enquirer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Fail is not died, it is only to commence again Baron of Montesquieu. French. 1689/1755

Failure is merely the place to begin again, intelligently. (or thereabouts) Henry Ford.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Tim! What is the picture of by your name? dale

posted Hide Post
What the heck, I'll send a few...

Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality the cost becomes prohibitive.
-- William F. Buckley Jr.

"When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout"
-- R.A. Heinlein

My philosophy of life is that the meek shall inherit nothing but debasement, frustration, and ignoble deaths.
-- Harlan Ellison

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend;
inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
-- Groucho Marx

There is an electric fire in human nature tending to purify -- so that among hese human creatures there is continually some birth of new heroism. The pity is that we must wonder at it, as we should at finding a pearl in rubbish.
-- John Keats (1795-1821)

Ken

Posts: 6 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the left is a kitten (Blackberry - we had to name her something in that line as we have cats (named by others) like Apple - who was found in the apple box by the kids - and Peaches (Blackberry's mother).

On the right of the picture is a mortar. Blackpowder. Tube is 4140 steel, golf-ball caliber, base is architectural channel iron. Does 100-200 yards with one or two 45acp cases of FFFg - using Topflight golf balls, of course.

It's the smallest (so far) mortar I make. Also make them in beer-can, soda-pop-bottle and 4" pvc pipe calibers.

Some people ride motorcycles, I shoot mortars.