New
Find
Notify
Tools

Felix lube?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read the protocol http://www.castpics.net/RandD/felix_lube/felix_lube.htm on how to make the lube and have a few questions. First what is anhydrous lanolin? Is there a common house hold kind, where would you get it? I work in a molecular biology lab and can get any chemical I want and the anhydrous lanolin is $12 for 5 grams. That seems a little expensive for personal use. (The sodium stearate is $36 for 1000 grams.) The protocol says "add beeswax to make the final mixture per requirement." About how much is that? I am shooting Keith bullets in a 45 Colt. How much lube does one recipe make? Thanks

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean- Just made my first couple of batches last week. Anhydrous means without water. I bought a one pound jar at my local drug store for $21.00. I used Ivory soap for the stearate and all came out fine. I think I used about 6-7oz. by weight of beeswax in the first batch, maybe a little more in the second, both seem to work fine.

I would like to find some carnuba wax, so far all I've found is the car polish and I'm a little leary of using it for fear of it containing abrasives.

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kenjuudo, I found some carnuba wax: http://www.soapandmore.com/shop/index.htm?c253.htm&1

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
I have lots of ingredients left over from the big MOAS lube melt. ALL but beeswax. Prices will be exactly what was paid on a per unit basis, plus 4 bucks postage for an envelope full of stuff. An envelope these days cannot be wrapped, and must close somwhat properly to be shipped from all three post offices around here. They all know me now, and gave me fair warning about anything too puffy. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean, Try "fromnaturewithlove.com" for your Anhydrous Lanolin, there is no need for medical grade AL in FWFL.
About $12-14/lb + s&h. You can get bees wax there too, refined in pellet form (about the size of a grain of rice) in 5lb packages, makes it real easy to measure.
I make my FWFL in double batches and add 1lb bees wax.
This works for me in everything I shoot, 38sp @ 750fps to 30-06 @ 2000

Posts: 43 | Location: Okla. | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Hey Sean, how much does cholesterol sell for?

(See the other thread about Felix lube in cold weather.)

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Pricing info that I used would be found at majestic mountain from where I got most of the stuff in large batch prices. Use those prices when "ordering" from me. For example, anhydrous lanolin is at about 7 bucks per pound (including postage to me). My prices to anyone would be the same, plus the postage to get to you. I have 25 pounds of that stuff left over. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Felix, I'd like to buy 3 pounds of anhydrous lanolin from you. I'll send a personal message to see what the total cost would be including shipping. It's great for making Ed's Red also. Thanks! PhotonII (aka Turbo)

Posts: 10 | Location: Tigard, OR | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Turbo, somebody need to find a suitable container. Even an expensive one if necessary, that can be shipped back and forth between members. It needs to fit in the 4 dollar envelope easily, say 8.5 by 11, by 1 or 2 or 3 thick, or whatever fits having the closure sticky stip going in its proper place, with maybe being off by a little bit that won't be so bad in looks. Tell me what it is and I might order it. Probably some tupperware from somebody's wife's party might work OK. For lanolin, we have to worry about possible hot truck melting and pouring out, so the tupperware would have to close up with no leaks. ... felix

one of us
posted Hide Post
Felix, I'm looking for a pound of anhydrous lanolin. Would a double bag 1 quart "zip lock" work? Looks like it would hold a pound and fit the USPS priority mailer 9x6x2 box included in the $3.85 1 lb flat rate.
cukrus.