New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .38/55 cast bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the H&R 38/55 rifle too. I've been shooting cast bullets using the Lee 379-250-RF mold. It does drop bullets at .382 diameter. I was shooting them as is, the rifle shot them well even oversized. I noticed the seating die was shaving the bullets so I removed the seating stem and drove bullets through the die in effect sizing them to .380. I was surprised- it worked well!

I shoot seven grains of Unique or Red Dot. The rifle is a spectacular shooter!

Posts: 309 | Location: kentucky | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
Just got my hands on the Lee 250RF-379 mould. My alloy drops at 380-381. Shoots very well in my Marlin 336CB. I do have a chambering problem however with a too tight neck.
Seems that the slugged bore is .379, but the chamber is set up for 375. Annoying, but I'm polishing it out slowly.
Running at 1700-1800fps with some development loads, I water drop and use a tumble lube variation.
One of the best Lee moulds I've ever had, was dropping lovely boolits within the first dozen. Open and out they drop. I'll have to get a Lee 'custom' sizer/checker die for it, and I'll stick with .380.
Cheers,
R*2

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Rrusse11,

I should have said something in my last letter but you could try running the loaded round back up into the FL sizer until it's tapered at the front just enough so that the action will close. I have to do the same thing in my old Winchester and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. In fact I was able to win the score portion of the last CBA lever action postal match using Laser-Cast bullets and doing what I just described with a gun who's bore is anything but smooth. Might not work for you and your chamber might be a lot tighter than mine but it's worth a shot and doesn't cost anything.

Pat,
Lol, GMTA!, (great minds think alike), precisely the solution I arrived at after a bit of thinking. I've got the Lee decapper die. Use that, flare with the new Lee expander die, a very good thing IMO, prime, charge, boolit seat, factory crimp, and then with the pin removed from the sizing die, a touch of sizing of the neck, and bingo.
I only need a thou or two to make the rounds chamber perfectly. And now the once fired brass should be lining up concentrically on the throat. Haven't had a chance to test fire yet. But I'm hopefull that accuracy will only improve.
My 336CB is looking to be an excellent shooter. I've got a 1893TD that I'm hoping to get to the same level, and a buddy has just bought one as well. Interesting to compare 3 different chambers, barrel lengths, and guns all with identical loads. The 2 older takedowns are going to be a lil more problematical to get to shoot as well as the modern marlin, but custom tailored rounds are clearly going to make a difference.
Cheers,
R*2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
R2,

And here I thought I so smart!! Hope it works out for you.

Pat

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

R2,

And here I thought I so smart!! Hope it works out for you.

Pat

Pat,
I was gonna' post a self-congralutatory item myself, (;o).
How 'bout a mutual pat on the back bro'!
Sometimes you have to think a bit outside the box, lol, but then we're boolit casters/reloaders, a rare breed. Thanx to these various forums and all who contribute. Gawd only knows where I'd be in my shooting career without all the input.
Cheers All!
R*2
We've hit the solstice, spring is coming! Happy Holidays!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pat,
Wellllll, you win some, and some just don't work out.
1830fps is just a lil' too much for my Lee 250gr plain base boolit. Rx10 and Fed 210M primers are a good combination, but accuracy went to hell and gone as the barrel started to lead.
The reloading sequence is working great, rounds feed and chamber beautifully, definitely gonnna' have to get the Saeco GC mould, #373. 2200fps out of my 444Marlin is no problem with checks, but I've clearly reached a limit with the PB in the 38-55.
Cheers,
R*2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
R2,

1830 is pretty fast for a PB bullet and I'm sure you're not surprised accuracy fell apart and the bore leaded. I use 10.5 grs of Unique in my Winchester and while I never ran it over a chronograph to see what it was doing it sure is nice to shoot. I'm a sissy when it comes to recoil. I tip the barrel up to settle the powder against the primer but since I'm just shooting off the bench at paper and don't want to mess around with a filler and it's no big deal, unless your range doesn't allow raising the muzzle then it's a BIG DEAL.

Speaking of leading. I've tried everything under the sun to get it out and up to this point have'nt found anything as good as a piece of that Lead/Carbon Wipe cloth that Outers and Birchwood Casey sells wrapped around an undersize brush until it's a fairly tight fit in the bore to remove it. I use a 6.5 brush for the .30 and a .22 brush for the 6.5. I've been using it for years in my bench guns and it doesn't do any damage to the bore as far as I can tell and no matter how black the wipe is as long as it isn't dried out it still works.

The way I do it is to push the Lead Wipe patch through the bore twice and then follow it up with two patches on Ed's Red and a couple of dry patches. You don't need to put anything on the Lead Wipe cloth and it might cut down on it's effectiveness if you did, don't know because I never did it.

It's been a while since I stopped by here but you've peaked my interest in how the Marlin is going to shoot so if you don't mind would you keep me informed.

Pat

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pat,
Haven't tried the Outer's product. I managed to pick up a freebie sample of Kroil yesterday, and that seems to be thin and penetrative enough to get under the lead. I wrap paper towel around a worn out brush and just keep on patching until I get it clean. In serious instances, I've been known to use OOOO steel wool, (I can feel the shudders now), it sure does polish up a bore. Iosso's bore paste is another product that I've used with good success.
My 'standard' cleaner is Marvel Mystery Oil, I think it's essentially a variation on the Ed's Red theme. Thin ATF, and it has a bit of spearmint oil apparently. I avoid silicone like the plague.
I'll cut back on the 250gr velocity, it was certainly shooting well at 1700fps. I'm really enjoying the cartridge, and the Marlin is lovely to shoot. Baby brother to the 444, and after that and the 45/70, the recoil seems negligble. I'll keep you posted. (Red Face).
Cheers,
R*2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to run my NEF at 1100 fps due to the fantastic accuracy the rifle produces at that speed. (I also shoot a lot of full case loads of IMR7383 but I won't discuss it with all the panic mongering on 7383 going on around here.)

GMDR did extensive load work on several calibers at subsonic speeds, .375 38-55 among them

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/375w240_dat.htm

Posts: 309 | Location: kentucky | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been using Laser Cast .380 in my H&R and Marlin with good results using 2400 also and even Unique for great shooting mild loads. My favorite was Mid Kansas but they are out of business, you might try Eldorado Bullets also.

one of us
Picture of Jimmy Mac
posted Hide Post
Boy, my Lee mold is a fatty. Runs about .383 with wheelweights. Wondering if I should send it back.

"We have met the enemy, and they are us." - Pogo