Find
Notify
Tools

Hogs in Oregon?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi, any of you guys in Oregon know of any place that has wild pigs?
I've heard mention of them around the Bend area and then in the Willamette Valley.
Anybody with any info to share?

To keep it on topic, I have some Lee 440's loaded for the 4" 500 S&W at around 1200 fps.
I finally did load and shoot some of the 700gn slugs from Ranger Rick. The recoil wasn't bad, but they hit about 12" high at 40 yards.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lar45;

No pigs in the Bend area that I know of. A couple of years ago they were reported to be a problem East of Prineville, Oregon near Paulina which is ranching country. Prior to that I heard they were in the John Day River canyonnear Clarno, Oregon. Have yet to see one or talk to someone who has.

I would love to try my 500-450 BPE on one.

Regards.
D. Jones

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
Hi, any of you guys in Oregon know of any place that has wild pigs?
I've heard mention of them around the Bend area and then in the Willamette Valley.
Anybody with any info to share?

To keep it on topic, I have some Lee 440's loaded for the 4" 500 S&W at around 1200 fps.
I finally did load and shoot some of the 700gn slugs from Ranger Rick. The recoil wasn't bad, but they hit about 12" high at 40 yards.

Most of the hogs we find here in Virginia are in the legislator, governors mansion and working for the various levels of government.
Not sure of the bag limits but it's pretty liberal.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Mr. Jones, if you do find some, I'll drive out and try the 470NE out. We'll make it a double for doubles on Hogs. I have a 500gn LFN style mold that shoots pretty good in it.

I had a thought about maybe calling the Vinyards from Portland south to Sweethome or wherever and asking if they were haveing any problems with Pigs, and if so would they like some help controlling them.
I didn't think about that until I got home, but maybe before I go to visit my Brother next time.

I posted the below on the Hogs forum also:

I checked at the Oregon F&G and forest service websites. It looks like they were haveing problems in Post, Prineville, Madras and Antelope. I drove over to have a look around. I did find some pig sign closer to the river near Post, but most all of the land there is Posted with NO HUNTING and all.
I talked with a gal on a ranch near Madras and she said they used to have a few pigs around, but last year the F&G came in with helicopters and shot most of them so they rarely see any anymore. She also said that they were mostly nocturnal and rarely seen during the day.

Soo, that's all I have to say about that.

It may be interesting to see if there are any in the Willamette Valley area.

The F&G website says that pigs were reclassified from livestock to predatory animals. So if they are out of a fenced area or pen for more than 4 days, they can be shot anytime, anywhere by anyone, no liscence, permit or tags needed. You should check to see if anyone has lost any pigs in the area that you're going to hunt in.

I guess that wasn't all I had to say afterall.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote